Re: Newbie Q, where is java.util?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Emery Z. Balint Jr., Aug 20, 2003.

  1. In Java there is something called JavaDocs. You need to download (or view
    online, whichever) that which is basically a Web site of all the classes in
    Java. You can see all the fields, methods, etc that you can preform on that
    class, such as java.util.Date. I believe this is the correct page:
    http://java.sun.com/docs/ Can't really work well without that.

    You should also have a file called src.zip in the directory where you
    installed Java. Although something you'd normally never touch, it can be
    interesting to unzip it and just peek through it. But for your purpose, you
    need the JavaDocs.

    Emery.
    /\^/\^/\
    Sun Certified Java Programmer
    www.websamba.com/javarobotics/
    E-stronomy - Astronomical Resources
    www.websamba.com/e-stronomy/
    Talking with Tonz - Dance/Alternative Music
    www.soundclick.com/talkingwithtonz/

    Emery Z. Balint Jr., Aug 20, 2003

  2. Emery Z. Balint Jr.

    Mike Guest

    > In Java there is something called JavaDocs. You need to download (or view
    > online, whichever) that which is basically a Web site of all the classes in
    > Java. You can see all the fields, methods, etc that you can preform on that
    > class, such as java.util.Date. I believe this is the correct page:
    > http://java.sun.com/docs/ Can't really work well without that.
    >
    > You should also have a file called src.zip in the directory where you
    > installed Java. Although something you'd normally never touch, it can be
    > interesting to unzip it and just peek through it. But for your purpose, you
    > need the JavaDocs.

    Thanks, all of you, I appreciate that. When I first started coding it,
    I figured that there had to be a file somewhere on the hard drive
    called java.util.whatever that was being included with the compile,
    like it would be with Perl. In Perl, you can open the modules and read
    all of their subroutines to find out what variables to use, etc.

    I'm downloading the docs right now, so I'm sure I'll figure it out.
    Thanks for the links!

    Mike
    Mike, Aug 21, 2003