Re: Newbie Q, where is java.util?

Discussion in 'Java' started by samspade, Aug 20, 2003.

  1. samspade

    samspade Guest

    > I'm still very new to Java, but I come from a pretty strong Perl
    > background.

    > In Java, when I type something like:
    > import java.util.Date;

    > where, on the hard drive, is java.util.*? Is it a file I can manually
    > read, or is it just a subroutine inside of java.exe?

    > The reason I ask is that, in Perl if you import a separate module or
    > library, you can read those external files to see what all options are
    > available to you. If I can't read java.util.*, then how can I figure
    > out how to code for it?

    As Tor says, the import line is just to tell the compiler which class you
    are referring to without having to do java.util.Date over and over (that
    would be very tedious).

    When the class file is run by the virtual machine, it will look for each
    class in a variety of places. Most of the standard libary is inside the
    lib/tools.jar file.
    samspade, Aug 20, 2003