Re: Newbie question: Any good resources on Java programming?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Brandon Blackmoor, Oct 5, 2003.

  1. Timberwolf wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend some good books or websites
    > about the topic?

    If you are a true newbie, this is the best place to start, in my opinion:

    "Head First Java"
    by Bert Bates, Kathy Sierra
    <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596004656/rpglibrary>

    Another good one is:

    "Java 2: A Beginner's Guide"
    by Herbert Schildt, Herb Schildt
    <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0072127422/rpglibrary>

    The "rpglibrary" on the end means I get a few penies if you buy the
    book. If that offends you, drop that from the URL (although your price
    will be the same).

    If buying from Amazon.com offends you, any local bookstore can order any
    book in print (it just may take a few weeks). A local,
    individually-owned bookstore I like is Broad Street Books:
    <http://www.broadstreetbooks.com/>. The couple that owns it are really
    nice, and will help you find whatever you need.

    Happy coding.

    bblackmoor

    Brandon Blackmoor, Oct 5, 2003

  2. On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 12:14:49 -0400, Brandon Blackmoor wrote:
    > Timberwolf wrote:
    >> Can anyone recommend some good books or websites
    >> about the topic?

    > If you are a true newbie

    He seems to be a bot. "Timberwolf" regularly posts similar messages in
    many newsgroups. It's apparently a ploy to advertise the webpage
    mentioned in his post.

    /gordon

    Gordon Beaton, Oct 5, 2003

  3. Gordon Beaton wrote:

    > He seems to be a bot. "Timberwolf" regularly posts similar
    > messages in many newsgroups. It's apparently a ploy to
    > advertise the webpage mentioned in his post.

    Oh. I never read sigs. Ah, well. The books I mentioned are still worth
    getting, for any human newbies who might be reading this thread.

    bblackmoor

    Brandon Blackmoor, Oct 5, 2003