Re: newbie question : gedit as an ide

Discussion in 'Python' started by Chris Angelico, Sep 16, 2012.

  1. On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 9:52 PM, Mayuresh Kathe <> wrote:
    > new to the group, a quick hello to all. :)
    > does anyone use gedit as an 'ide' for python development?
    > if yes, may i know the caveats against using 'idle', 'bpython', etc?
    >
    > thank you.

    I never really liked gedit; when I first switched my primary
    development platform to Linux (from working on OS/2 and Windows), it
    was an Ubuntu, and I felt that gedit was less than satisfactory. The
    second GUI editor I tried was SciTE, which IMHO is distinctly
    superior. Mainly, though, I don't use any sort of IDE per se; the only
    "IDE-like" feature in my setup is SciTE's F7 key binding to run
    'make', and then a properly-configured makefile in every directory
    that I work in. Between that and a terminal window for git commands,
    there's not really much more to look for in a development environment.

    ChrisA

    Chris Angelico, Sep 16, 2012