Re: newbie question : gedit as an ide

Discussion in 'Python' started by Devin Jeanpierre, Sep 16, 2012.

  1. On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 7:52 AM, Mayuresh Kathe <> wrote:
    > new to the group, a quick hello to all. :)
    > does anyone use gedit as an 'ide' for python development?
    > if yes, may i know the caveats against using 'idle', 'bpython', etc?

    bpython isn't an IDE, it's a good interactive interpreter.

    As for gedit as an editor... it's actually really bad, but fixable if
    you install plugins. e.g., it doesn't have builtin support for case
    sensitive / regexp search and so on, but these can be added so that
    gedit becomes tolerable. In fact, one of gedit's main advantages over
    many of its similar competitors (in particular I'm thinking of Kate)
    is that the plugin support is very strong, so if it doesn't do what
    you want, you can make it do what you want anyway.

    So, install / enable plugins. Lots of them. Or use an editor designed
    for programmers first, such as Kate or vim or emacs.

    -- Devin
    Devin Jeanpierre, Sep 16, 2012