Re: newbie question: ImportError: No module named Numeric

Discussion in 'Python' started by Harry George, Jul 15, 2003.

  1. Harry George

    Harry George Guest

    rmachne <-res.org> writes:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > Sorry, if there is a newbie list or this question is answered in tutorials
    > - I tried but without succes :-( - here is my question:
    > Using linux,
    > I need the 'Numerical Python' package, and I installed it on my local
    > computer (not with the other packages in /usr/local/...) using
    >
    > ~/programs/Numeric-23.0>python setup.py install --home=/scratch/raim
    >
    > but now the Numeric package / module can't be found:
    >
    > ~/programs/Numeric-23.0/Test> python test.py
    > Traceback (most recent call last):
    > File "test.py", line 2, in ?
    > import Numeric
    > ImportError: No module named Numeric
    > Exit 1
    >
    > I couldn't find out which path variable to change or add. Can anyone
    > help?
    > (Test.py works fine when called from within the lib folder with
    > Numeric.py)
    >
    > best
    > rainer

    You can set an env variable:
    export PYTHONPATH=/scratch/raim
    (or whatever your shell syntax is)

    This adds the path to your normal defaults.

    You can also do this 'export' in a shell script which runs the
    application. This is useful if you have several variants of a given
    module, and want to use one or the other in a specific case.

    --

    6-6M31 Knowledge Management
    Phone: (425) 294-8757

    Harry George, Jul 15, 2003