Re: Newbie question on python programming

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ian Kelly, Jul 21, 2012.

  1. Ian Kelly

    Ian Kelly Guest

    On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Chris Williams
    <> wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I hope this is the right newsgroup for this post.
    >
    > I am just starting to learn python programming and it seems very
    > straightforward so far. It seems, however, geared toward doing the sort of
    > programming for terminal output.
    >
    > Is it possible to write the sort of applications you can create in something
    > like c-sharp or visual c++, or should I be looking at some other programming
    > language? I am using ubuntu 12.04.

    There are plenty of options for GUI programming in Python. Among the
    most popular are Tkinter, wxPython, PyGTK, and PyQT, all of which are
    cross-platform and free. Also, since you specifically mention the
    ..NET languages, IronPython runs on .NET and so is able to make full
    use of the .NET APIs including Windows Forms and WPF. A more
    comprehensive list can be found at:

    http://wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgramming
    Ian Kelly, Jul 21, 2012

  2. Ian Kelly

    Tom P Guest

    On 07/21/2012 02:30 AM, Ian Kelly wrote:
    > On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Chris Williams
    > <> wrote:
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> I hope this is the right newsgroup for this post.
    >>
    >> I am just starting to learn python programming and it seems very
    >> straightforward so far. It seems, however, geared toward doing the sort of
    >> programming for terminal output.
    >>
    >> Is it possible to write the sort of applications you can create in something
    >> like c-sharp or visual c++, or should I be looking at some other programming
    >> language? I am using ubuntu 12.04.

    > There are plenty of options for GUI programming in Python. Among the
    > most popular are Tkinter, wxPython, PyGTK, and PyQT, all of which are
    > cross-platform and free. Also, since you specifically mention the
    > .NET languages, IronPython runs on .NET and so is able to make full
    > use of the .NET APIs including Windows Forms and WPF. A more
    > comprehensive list can be found at:
    >
    > http://wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgramming

    Another platform independent approach is to write the program as a web
    server something like this-
    def application(environ, start_response):
    start_response("200 OK", [("Content-type", "text/plain")])
    return ["Hello World!"]

    if __name__ == '__main__':
    from wsgiref.simple_server import make_server
    server = make_server('localhost', 8080, application)
    server.serve_forever()

    Run this and then use your browser to connect to localhost:8080
    You can then use html features such as forms for input/output.
    Tom P, Jul 21, 2012