    -----Original Message-----
    From: python-list-bounces+chris.hornberger=
    [mailto:python-list-bounces+chris.hornberger=]On
    Behalf Of Porky Pig Jr
    Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 7:28 PM
    Subject: newbie question: should I learn TKinter or skip it and learn
    moreadvanced toolkit?

    I'm in a process of digging into Python, and one of the problems I'm
    having is whether I should spend any time at all learning TKinter or
    skip it and start with more advanced staff like wx or QT.

    I have no experience with GUI whatsoever, so anything will be a
    learning experience for me. The reason I've decided to post this
    question is that I see some contradictory information in different
    resources.

    In 'Programming Python', learning TKinter is recommended -- before you
    move to more advanced toolkits. The rationale is (i) it is built-in
    and since it is also shared by TCL and Perl, it is well-maintained and
    always in sync with the latest version of Python, (ii) it is fairly
    simple to learn, small learning curve, easier to grasp some concepts
    before moving to more comprehensive production quality toolkit such as
    QT.

    In some other resources TKinter is critisized as not well integrated
    at Python at all, so recommendation is 'not to waste your time and
    start learning GUI with either wx or QT'.

    My intent is *not* to become professional GUI developer, but simply to
    get a handle on it, so if I write some utilities, I can provide some
    nice GUI if required. Yet of course, since I'm learning something new,
    it would be nice to learn it 'right from the start'.

    So: should I spend some time or TKinter or simply skip it and start
    learning GUI with something like wx or QT?

    (my background: solid C, enough C++ to understand the OOP concepts,
    Perl, too much of it to my liking, BTW)

    TIA.

    Hornberger, Chris, May 12, 2004

  2. Hornberger, Chris

    Alan Gauld Guest

    Re: newbie question: should I learn TKinter or skip it and learn moreadvanced toolkit?

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 08:41:32 -0400, "Hornberger, Chris"
    <> wrote:

    > My intent is *not* to become professional GUI developer, but simply to
    > get a handle on it, so if I write some utilities, I can provide some
    > nice GUI if required. Yet of course, since I'm learning something new,
    > it would be nice to learn it 'right from the start'.
    >
    > So: should I spend some time or TKinter or simply skip it and start
    > learning GUI with something like wx or QT?

    I'd go for Tkinter. If you only want to do basic GUI wrap of
    existing program or even simple GUI from scratch TKInter is fine.

    If you want a gentle intro to GUI basics with code in Tkinter and
    a short comparison with wxPython try the GUI page of my tutorial.
    It won't make you an expert but will provide enough taster to get
    you started.

    Alan G.
    Author of the Learn to Program website

    Alan Gauld, May 12, 2004