Re: Newbie

Discussion in 'Java' started by zerg, Oct 22, 2008.

  1. zerg

    zerg Guest

    MartianFizz wrote:
    > Greetings from a relative Java rookie (with vast experience in C/C++/C#).
    >
    > I'm looking for a good place to ask java questions when Google hasn't been
    > much help. Current examples ...
    >
    > * How do I disable ALL forms of auto-indenting in Eclipse?

    I'm not sure. I use NetBeans. Poke around in the preferences/tools menus.

    > * Any good robust sources of Swing examples, most notably action listeners?

    Sun's Java Tutorial. The Swing-specific bits are at
    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/TOC.html and include
    example action listeners (scroll way down, "Writing Event Listeners",
    has action listeners and lots of others).

    > * Good all purpose Java reference website (hopefully better than Sun's)?

    I've found that the three best references are, in this order:

    * Sun's tutorial (from the above link, click "Home Page" at top right;
    but I rarely refer to it except for Swing stuff these days).

    * The API docs (http://today.java.net/download/jdk6/doc/api/ appears to
    be the most current version).

    * Google, with whatever query seems to fit the situation (e.g. "swing
    dialog cancel button escape" when trying to determine how to make the
    esc key cancel your shiny new dialog -- for whatever reason, JRootPane
    has a setDefaultButton to set one for enter to activate but lacks a
    setCancelButton, so I found myself needing to write a key listener and
    attach it to the root pane that will get unconsumed VK_ESCAPE events
    and invoke the same method as the cancel button and the dialog's
    window closing listener do; in this case googling just helped to
    confirm the absence of a specific cancel-button API).

    There's also http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jgloss.html but my preferences
    lie with Sun's from-the-horse's-mouth materials followed by whatever
    Google decides is most relevant, which is sometimes mindprod.com and
    sometimes not.
    zerg, Oct 22, 2008