Re: News for Java?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Roedy Green, Jan 6, 2011.

  1. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 10:16:00 +0100, "Midnightmare"
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    someone who said :

    >Java will reach C# as syntactic richness?

    I tried to push it that way back in the early days. Gosling and Joy
    did not like "syntactic sugar". Now Joy is gone, I don't know about
    Gosling. Neither were application programmers. They did not have a
    proper appreciation for just verbose, and hard to maintain Java is.
    Just tiny bits of sugar would save millions of keystrokes.

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/bali.html
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com
    Roedy Green, Jan 6, 2011

  2. "Roedy Green" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 10:16:00 +0100, "Midnightmare"
    > <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    > someone who said :
    >
    >>Java will reach C# as syntactic richness?

    > I tried to push it that way back in the early days. Gosling and Joy
    > did not like "syntactic sugar". Now Joy is gone, I don't know about
    > Gosling.

    Gosling left Sun just before Oracle took over.

    > Neither were application programmers.

    Ever heard of a thing called vi?
    Mike Schilling, Jan 6, 2011

  3. On 05/01/2011 9:24 PM, Mike Schilling wrote:

    > "Roedy Green" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 10:16:00 +0100, "Midnightmare"
    >> <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    >> someone who said :
    >>
    >>> Java will reach C# as syntactic richness?

    >> I tried to push it that way back in the early days. Gosling and Joy
    >> did not like "syntactic sugar". Now Joy is gone, I don't know about
    >> Gosling.

    > Gosling left Sun just before Oracle took over.

    Was it really Gosling & Joy that fought it, though? I thought there
    were other issues (esp. involving the JVM) that slowed the syntactic sugar.

    >> Neither were application programmers.

    > Ever heard of a thing called vi?

    That doesn't really help his reputation. :)

    (For the record, I love vi, and I install VIM on all my work computers)
    Travers Naran, Jan 6, 2011
  4. Roedy Green

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Wed, 5 Jan 2011, Travers Naran wrote:

    > On 05/01/2011 9:24 PM, Mike Schilling wrote:
    >
    >> "Roedy Green" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> I tried to push it that way back in the early days. Gosling and Joy
    >>> did not like "syntactic sugar". Now Joy is gone, I don't know about
    >>> Gosling. Neither were application programmers.

    >> Ever heard of a thing called vi?

    > That doesn't really help his reputation. :)
    >
    > (For the record, I love vi, and I install VIM on all my work computers)

    Me too. I *hate* my colleagues.

    tom

    --
    HATE THIS SONG ITS TERRIBLE! SHES ANNOYIN ASWELL AND I DONT LIKE HER
    !!!!!!!!!! ;( -- songlover
    Tom Anderson, Jan 6, 2011
  5. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 06-01-2011 17:54, Tom Anderson wrote:
    > On Wed, 5 Jan 2011, Travers Naran wrote:
    >
    >> On 05/01/2011 9:24 PM, Mike Schilling wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Roedy Green" <> wrote in message

    >>> Ever heard of a thing called vi?

    >> That doesn't really help his reputation. :)
    >>
    >> (For the record, I love vi, and I install VIM on all my work computers)

    > Me too. I *hate* my colleagues.

    :)

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jan 6, 2011
  6. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 06-01-2011 00:24, Mike Schilling wrote:
    > "Roedy Green" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 10:16:00 +0100, "Midnightmare"
    >> <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    >> someone who said :
    >>
    >>> Java will reach C# as syntactic richness?

    >> I tried to push it that way back in the early days. Gosling and Joy
    >> did not like "syntactic sugar". Now Joy is gone, I don't know about
    >> Gosling.

    > Gosling left Sun just before Oracle took over.

    I thought it was after.

    http://nighthacks.com/roller/jag/entry/time_to_move_on

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jan 7, 2011
  7. "Arne Vajhøj" <> wrote in message
    > On 06-01-2011 00:24, Mike Schilling wrote:
    >> "Roedy Green" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 10:16:00 +0100, "Midnightmare"
    >>> <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted

    >>> I tried to push it that way back in the early days. Gosling and Joy
    >>> did not like "syntactic sugar". Now Joy is gone, I don't know about
    >>> Gosling.

    >> Gosling left Sun just before Oracle took over.

    > I thought it was after.

    Right you are. I was mixing it up with Oracle's takeover of my former
    employer. Gosling left a bit before that became final.
    Mike Schilling, Jan 7, 2011
  8. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 05-01-2011 23:52, Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 10:16:00 +0100, "Midnightmare"
    > <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    > someone who said :
    >
    >> Java will reach C# as syntactic richness?

    > I tried to push it that way back in the early days. Gosling and Joy
    > did not like "syntactic sugar". Now Joy is gone, I don't know about
    > Gosling.

    Joy left SUN in 2003. Gosling left Oracle in 2010.

    > Neither were application programmers.

    I would consider an editor to be an application.

    > They did not have a
    > proper appreciation for just verbose, and hard to maintain Java is.
    > Just tiny bits of sugar would save millions of keystrokes.

    Given that typing is not a constraining factor in professional
    software engineering, then that fact is not important.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jan 9, 2011