Re:No cache

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 5, 2005.

  1. Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 5, 2005

  2. Luigi Donatello Asero

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Re: No cache

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > They are pages which I want to protect by passwords.

    Okay, that will work *sometimes*. Really you have no control over the
    cache on someones' computer. That's up to the user. You can "loosely
    suggest" with that code for caching to be turned off, but in some
    circumstances browsers will ignore it and cache anyway. There's nothing
    you can do about it.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jan 5, 2005

  3. Re: No cache

    "SpaceGirl" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > > They are pages which I want to protect by passwords.

    > Okay, that will work *sometimes*. Really you have no control over the
    > cache on someones' computer. That's up to the user. You can "loosely
    > suggest" with that code for caching to be turned off, but in some
    > circumstances browsers will ignore it and cache anyway. There's nothing
    > you can do about it.

    I want to avoid that robots cache those pages.

    --
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.html
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 5, 2005
  4. Re: No cache

    "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> skrev i meddelandet

    > "SpaceGirl" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > > > They are pages which I want to protect by passwords.

    > > Okay, that will work *sometimes*. Really you have no control over the
    > > cache on someones' computer. That's up to the user. You can "loosely
    > > suggest" with that code for caching to be turned off, but in some
    > > circumstances browsers will ignore it and cache anyway. There's nothing
    > > you can do about it.

    > I want to avoid that robots cache those pages.
    >

    > --
    > Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
    > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.html
    > http://www.homoweb.it

    I suppose that I read how to instruct robots to cache certain pages
    somewhere
    but I do not remember where.

    --
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/italien-karta.html
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 5, 2005
  5. Re: No cache

    > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > >
    > > "SpaceGirl" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > > >

    > > > Okay, that will work *sometimes*. Really you have no control over the
    > > > cache on someones' computer. That's up to the user. You can "loosely
    > > > suggest" with that code for caching to be turned off, but in some
    > > > circumstances browsers will ignore it and cache anyway. There's

    nothing
    > > > you can do about it.

    > > I want to avoid that robots cache those pages.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
    > > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.html
    > > http://www.homoweb.it

    > I suppose that I read how to instruct robots to cache certain pages
    > somewhere
    > but I do not remember where.

    Sorry, I meant:
    I suppose that I read how to instruct robots NOT to cache certain pages
    somewhere
    but I do not remember where.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 5, 2005
  6. Luigi Donatello Asero

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Re: No cache

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >
    >>"Luigi Donatello Asero" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >>
    >>>"SpaceGirl" <> skrev i meddelandet

    > nothing

    >>>I want to avoid that robots cache those pages.
    >>>

    >>>--
    >>> Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
    >>>https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.html
    >>>http://www.homoweb.it

    >>I suppose that I read how to instruct robots to cache certain pages
    >>somewhere
    >> but I do not remember where.

    > Sorry, I meant:
    > I suppose that I read how to instruct robots NOT to cache certain pages
    > somewhere
    > but I do not remember where.

    Rbots dont cache sites; they just read a sites content ready for
    indexing on a search engine. The fact a robot has read your site does
    NOT mean it will or will not actually index you tho. These things take
    time. However, it's nothing to do with caching.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jan 5, 2005
  7. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Oli Filth Guest

    Re: No cache

    SpaceGirl wrote:
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >
    >> "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >>
    >> Sorry, I meant:
    >> I suppose that I read how to instruct robots NOT to cache certain pages
    >> somewhere
    >> but I do not remember where.
    >>

    > Rbots dont cache sites; they just read a sites content ready for
    > indexing on a search engine. The fact a robot has read your site does
    > NOT mean it will or will not actually index you tho. These things take
    > time. However, it's nothing to do with caching.

    I think he means the Google page caching scheme (and others). However, I
    believe these follow the same rules for cache vs. no-cache as browsers,
    i.e. they might honour the <META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma"
    CONTENT="no-cache">, but then again they might not.

    Luigi, I think you're thinking of the <META name="ROBOTS"
    content="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW"> tag. This is an instruction to tell the
    robot not to index the page at all or follow links from the page. But
    this hasn't got anything to do with caching.

    One further thing: I think it's better to issue the pragma: no-cache
    directive directly as an HTTP header rather than as an HTML META tag, I
    read somewhere that it's more likely to be honoured this way. e.g. if
    you're serving your pages using PHP, you might do something like:

    header("Pragma: no-cache");

    or use the session_cache_limiter() function at the beginnning of every
    script. See http://uk2.php.net/manual/en/function.header.php and
    http://uk2.php.net/manual/en/function.session-cache-limiter.php. I'm
    guessing there are similar functions in Perl, ASP, etc.

    I hope this is of some use. :)

    --
    Oli
    Oli Filth, Jan 6, 2005
  8. Re: No cache

    "Oli Filth" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > SpaceGirl wrote:
    > > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> skrev i

    meddelandet

    > >> Sorry, I meant:
    > >> I suppose that I read how to instruct robots NOT to cache certain

    pages
    > >> somewhere
    > >> but I do not remember where.
    > >>

    > > Rbots dont cache sites; they just read a sites content ready for
    > > indexing on a search engine. The fact a robot has read your site does
    > > NOT mean it will or will not actually index you tho. These things take
    > > time. However, it's nothing to do with caching.
    > >

    > I think he means the Google page caching scheme (and others). However, I
    > believe these follow the same rules for cache vs. no-cache as browsers,
    > i.e. they might honour the <META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma"
    > CONTENT="no-cache">, but then again they might not.
    >
    > Luigi, I think you're thinking of the <META name="ROBOTS"
    > content="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW"> tag. This is an instruction to tell the
    > robot not to index the page at all or follow links from the page. But
    > this hasn't got anything to do with caching.

    Yes. You are right, I think. What I am interested in is that search engines
    do not show the contents of the pages which are protected by passwords. But
    if the robot does not index a page, search engines could not show it, anyway
    and the pages would be protected, wouldn´t they?

    > One further thing: I think it's better to issue the pragma: no-cache
    > directive directly as an HTTP header rather than as an HTML META tag, I
    > read somewhere that it's more likely to be honoured this way. e.g. if
    > you're serving your pages using PHP, you might do something like:
    >
    > header("Pragma: no-cache");

    You may have right on that subject, too.
    Actually, I still have to learn a lot about http headers and how to
    configure them.
    Do you have other links on this subjects?
    But if I want to configure the headers, then again, I have to save the files
    we are talking about using PHP.
    That could be a good thing, in fact. I am trying to learn many things at the
    same time, php among others.

    > or use the session_cache_limiter() function at the beginnning of every
    > script. See http://uk2.php.net/manual/en/function.header.php and
    > http://uk2.php.net/manual/en/function.session-cache-limiter.php. I'm
    > guessing there are similar functions in Perl, ASP, etc.
    >
    > I hope this is of some use. :)

    I think it is :)

    --
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/damskor.html
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 6, 2005
  9. Luigi Donatello Asero

    rf Guest

    Re: No cache

    "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote

    > What I am interested in is that search engines
    > do not show the contents of the pages which are protected by passwords.

    The page is password protected, right?

    How would the search engine get to the page to show it? The search engine
    does not have the password.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Jan 6, 2005
  10. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Oli Filth Guest

    Re: No cache

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > "Oli Filth" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >
    >>SpaceGirl wrote:

    > meddelandet

    > pages

    >>>Rbots dont cache sites; they just read a sites content ready for
    >>>indexing on a search engine. The fact a robot has read your site does
    >>>NOT mean it will or will not actually index you tho. These things take
    >>>time. However, it's nothing to do with caching.
    >>>

    >>I think he means the Google page caching scheme (and others). However, I
    >>believe these follow the same rules for cache vs. no-cache as browsers,
    >>i.e. they might honour the <META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma"
    >>CONTENT="no-cache">, but then again they might not.
    >>
    >>Luigi, I think you're thinking of the <META name="ROBOTS"
    >>content="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW"> tag. This is an instruction to tell the
    >>robot not to index the page at all or follow links from the page. But
    >>this hasn't got anything to do with caching.

    > Yes. You are right, I think. What I am interested in is that search engines
    > do not show the contents of the pages which are protected by passwords. But
    > if the robot does not index a page, search engines could not show it, anyway
    > and the pages would be protected, wouldn´t they?
    >

    >>One further thing: I think it's better to issue the pragma: no-cache
    >>directive directly as an HTTP header rather than as an HTML META tag, I
    >>read somewhere that it's more likely to be honoured this way. e.g. if
    >>you're serving your pages using PHP, you might do something like:
    >>
    >>header("Pragma: no-cache");

    > You may have right on that subject, too.
    > Actually, I still have to learn a lot about http headers and how to
    > configure them.
    > Do you have other links on this subjects?

    Here's a reference to the various HTTP headers.
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/http.html

    Some of these are sent by the browser (or search robot) when it requests
    a page, others are sent from the server when the page is returned.
    You'll never need to use the majority of them, and your server will
    automatically set some anyway.

    If you want to find what HTTP headers have been returned with a page,
    you can use the Web Developer plug-in for Firefox
    (https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=60).

    Oli
    Oli Filth, Jan 6, 2005
  11. Re: No cache

    "rf" <rf@.invalid> skrev i meddelandet
    > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote
    >
    > > What I am interested in is that search engines
    > > do not show the contents of the pages which are protected by passwords.

    > The page is password protected, right?
    >
    > How would the search engine get to the page to show it? The search engine
    > does not have the password.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers
    > Richard.

    ok

    --
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/italienska-damsskor.html
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 6, 2005
  12. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Neal Guest

    Re: No cache

    Luigi Donatello Asero <> wrote:
    > "rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote:
    >> How would the search engine get to the page to show it? The search
    >> engine
    >> does not have the password.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Cheers
    >> Richard.

    > ok

    And sometimes it's so simple...

    (rf, you using "-- " with the space? Yes, you are - it's Luigi's
    newsreader that's messed up.)
    Neal, Jan 6, 2005
  13. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Re: No cache

    Previously in alt.html, Neal <> said:

    > it's Luigi's
    > newsreader that's messed up.

    Or lack thereof. He's not using a newsreader, he's using OE (as is
    Richard, FWIW).

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Jan 6, 2005
  14. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Neal Guest

    Re: No cache

    Mark Parnell <> wrote:

    > Previously in alt.html, Neal <> said:
    >
    >> it's Luigi's
    >> newsreader that's messed up.

    > Or lack thereof. He's not using a newsreader, he's using OE (as is
    > Richard, FWIW).

    It's not the tool, it's how you use it, I suppose...
    Neal, Jan 6, 2005
  15. Luigi Donatello Asero

    rf Guest

    Re: No cache

    "Neal" <> wrote

    > (rf, you using "-- " with the space? Yes, you are - it's Luigi's
    > newsreader that's messed up.)

    Luigi is using outlook express. This does no trimming at all, one has to do
    it manually.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Jan 6, 2005
  16. Luigi Donatello Asero

    rf Guest

    Re: No cache

    "Mark Parnell" <> wrote

    > He's not using a newsreader, he's using OE (as is
    > Richard, FWIW).

    OE is easier to say than "Marks Telepathetic Psycobabble Generator Deluxe
    v1.34" :)

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.