Re: No caret with two items at same location (position:fixed)

Discussion in 'HTML' started by rf, Sep 19, 2008.

  1. rf

    rf Guest

    <sheldonlg> wrote in message
    > Doesn't anyone have a suggestion for a work-around? On Firefox (at least
    > FF2 and maybe FF3), no caret appears but I can type into the fields. The
    > links are:
    >
    > www.sheldonlg.com/focus/index.php (textarea)
    > www.sheldonlg.com/focus/index1.php (text box)
    >
    > This is the result of having two tags occupy the same space on the screen
    > via position:fixed, one having visibility:visible and the other having
    > visibility:hidden.
    >
    > (Please don't suggest having them in different areas of the screen.)

    display: none; instead of visibility: hidden?

    Not tested, or even tried as I don't see the problem here. Up to you.;
    rf, Sep 19, 2008

  2. rf

    rf Guest

    <sheldonlg> wrote in message
    > rf wrote:
    >> <sheldonlg> wrote in message
    >>> Doesn't anyone have a suggestion for a work-around? On Firefox (at
    >>> least FF2 and maybe FF3), no caret appears but I can type into the
    >>> fields. The links are:
    >>>
    >>> www.sheldonlg.com/focus/index.php (textarea)
    >>> www.sheldonlg.com/focus/index1.php (text box)
    >>>
    >>> This is the result of having two tags occupy the same space on the
    >>> screen via position:fixed, one having visibility:visible and the other
    >>> having visibility:hidden.
    >>>
    >>> (Please don't suggest having them in different areas of the screen.)

    >> display: none; instead of visibility: hidden?

    > Thanks, but not an option.

    Why? What is the difference between an element being completely covered up
    and that element having display: none? The user can't see it in either case.

    Why is it being covered up anyway. If you don't want the user to see it then
    perhaps a hidden input field.

    You are giving minimal information to use as a base for advice. I suspect
    that you have a problem and have found the wrong solution, with which you
    are having further problems.

    > Are you using Firefox 2?

    Er, no, although I probably have it laying round somewhere.
    rf, Sep 20, 2008