Re: no longer fully supporting 4.x browsers..

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Isofarro, Jul 1, 2003.

  1. Isofarro

    Isofarro Guest

    David Segall wrote:

    > "rf" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> A site that can not be listened to can be deemed to be illegal.
    >>Removing the focus rectangle from links and so making them unusable to
    >>somebody who cannot use a mouse can be deemed to be illegal. It is not I
    >>who says this, it is the people who make our laws, the government.

    > Don't believe this er, exaggeration, from my fellow Australian. It is
    > illegal to deliberately discriminate against the handicapped but that
    > does not mean that we are required to sell books that,

    A website isn't a book.

    > magically, enable the blind to read or Music CD's

    A music CD isn't a website

    > You would not be breaking the law if you failed to implement the
    > Windows "standard" of not requiring a mouse.

    Removing focus on a link makes it difficult for people with motor-skills
    related disabilities from clicking a link. Could you provide a reference to
    a piece of Australian legislation that confirms your belief or opinion?

    > You would certainly not
    > be breaking the law if your web site did not support Lynx.

    Lynx is used as a canonical example of accessibility testing. If a website
    works in Lynx, there's going to be a good chance the website is accessible.
    So conversely, if a website doesn't work in Lynx there's a good chance it
    is not accessible - inaccessible websites are in breach of Australian
    legislation, as you have already pointed out.

    --
    Iso.
    Web Standards: http://www.webstandards.org/
    Isofarro, Jul 1, 2003