RE: Nostalgic instruction sequences (Re: Python Productivity Gain?)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy), Feb 25, 2004.

  1. > From: Gordon Airport

    > > SETW 0 a9f4
    > > G 0
    > >
    > > anyone? (memory said a9f0 first, corrected by google).
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > > mwh

    > I used someting similar to his to hack Macintoshes in high
    > school: SM 0
    > a9f4, G 0, entered at the magic h4X0r prompt. I have no idea
    > what it's
    > actually doing, but you could bypass At Ease with it ;-)

    Ah - I knew a9f4 was familiar. It was 'ExitToShell' (IIRC).

    So you were setting memory location 0 to the address of 'ExitToShell' using Macsbug, then executing that function. The result was to kill the current application.

    Fun stuff.

    Tim Delaney
    Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy), Feb 25, 2004

  2. Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy) wrote:
    > So you were setting memory location 0 to the address of 'ExitToShell' using Macsbug,

    Or the built-in monitor that you got when MacsBug
    wasn't installed.

    A MacsBug command I remember using a lot on my
    Mac Plus went something like

    DM DFFFFF1F

    I can't remember the exact number. My only record
    of it was written on a box of stick-on labels that
    I kept, long after it was empty, in a strategic place
    on my desk. Recently I threw it out, only remembering
    its significance afterward. Not that it really mattered,
    since it didn't work on any model later than a Mac
    Plus anyway.

    Oh, what did it do? Another virtual chocolate fish
    is on offer for answering that...

    --
    Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
    University of Canterbury,
    Greg Ewing (using news.cis.dfn.de), Feb 25, 2004

  3. "Greg Ewing (using news.cis.dfn.de)" <> writes:

    > Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy) wrote:
    > > So you were setting memory location 0 to the address of
    > > 'ExitToShell' using Macsbug,

    > Or the built-in monitor that you got when MacsBug
    > wasn't installed.

    Indeed; when MacsBug was installed you typed "es" (I think).

    I don't recall using the A-trap trick to get out of my crashed
    application actually working very often.

    How I miss old versions of Mac OS... not at all, actually.

    > A MacsBug command I remember using a lot on my
    > Mac Plus went something like
    >
    > DM DFFFFF1F
    >
    > I can't remember the exact number. My only record
    > of it was written on a box of stick-on labels that
    > I kept, long after it was empty, in a strategic place
    > on my desk. Recently I threw it out, only remembering
    > its significance afterward. Not that it really mattered,
    > since it didn't work on any model later than a Mac
    > Plus anyway.
    >
    > Oh, what did it do? Another virtual chocolate fish
    > is on offer for answering that...

    Pff, no idea. My (parents') first Mac ran System 7...

    I was somewhat startled to notice that when I installed MacsBug on my
    parents' newer Mac, there were COLOURS! What is the world coming to?

    Cheers,
    mwh

    --
    TRSDOS: Friendly old lizard. Or, at least, content to sit there
    eating flies. -- Jim's pedigree of operating systems, asr
    Michael Hudson, Feb 25, 2004