Re: numerical recipes book

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Rouben Rostamian, Jul 30, 2003.

  1. In article <>,
    Koen <> wrote:

    >I am considering purchasing 'Numerical recipes in C', but then I read
    >about the copyright notice that forbids distribution of software that
    >uses the examples from the book. My questions are, is this a big
    >issue? The book seems to be popular, and I cannot imagine that people
    >only read the book, but do not apply what's in it. Second question, if
    >this is a serious issue, are there any alternatives?

    Numerical Recipes is a terrific book for its selection of content,
    description of algorithms and expository writing. Buying and
    reading it are worthwhile investments of money and time. As it says
    in the introductions, the provided sample programs are meant only
    as illustrations and food for thought. They are not intended for
    verbatim use for production code.

    I suggest that you take the programs as illustrations of the text
    material. Study them for concepts, then write your own programs,
    starting from scratch.

    --
    Rouben Rostamian <>

    Rouben Rostamian, Jul 30, 2003