Re: numerical recipes book

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by E. Robert Tisdale, Jul 31, 2003.

  1. Koen wrote:

    > I am considering purchasing 'Numerical recipes in C'

    Good idea.

    > but then I read about the copyright notice
    > that forbids distribution of software
    > that uses the examples from the book.
    > My questions are, is this a big issue?

    Of course.
    Pess et. al. have demonstrated that they are serious
    about copyright infringement.
    If you violate it, they *will* come after you.

    > The book seems to be popular and I cannot imagine that
    > people only read the book but do not apply what's in it.

    The code in Numerical Recipes textbooks is a *pedantic accessory*.
    The authors use it to help teach students about numerical methods.
    Most students are amateur programmers who can use the code
    to write applications for their own use.
    They cannot copy or modify the code and redistribute it
    for others to to use -- it is *not* open source software.

    > Second question,
    > if this is a serious issue, are there any alternatives?

    You can use the GNU Scientific Library (GSL)
    if you can abide by the terms of the GNU Public License (GPL).
    E. Robert Tisdale, Jul 31, 2003