Re: obfuscate email link in mailto, protect from spammers,possible?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Philip Ronan, Oct 1, 2004.

  1. Philip Ronan

    Philip Ronan Guest

    On 17/9/04 6:09 am, mscir wrote:

    > (snip)
    > The address (shortened) looks like this:

    > Click her</a>
    >
    > Can the spammers decode this? If so, any suggestons about how I can make
    > it more difficult for them?

    Hi,

    My apologies for dragging up an old thread, but you might be interested in
    trying out a Javascript email scrambler I programmed a while back. I'd be
    pretty surprised if EFGrabber can crack the results.

    Here's a link: <http://freespace.virgin.net/phil.ronan/scramble.html>

    Give it a try.

    Phil

    --
    Philip Ronan

    Philip Ronan, Oct 1, 2004

  2. Philip Ronan

    mscir Guest

    Philip Ronan wrote:
    > My apologies for dragging up an old thread, but you might be interested in
    > trying out a Javascript email scrambler I programmed a while back. I'd be
    > pretty surprised if EFGrabber can crack the results.
    >
    > Here's a link: <http://freespace.virgin.net/phil.ronan/scramble.html>

    Looks like it works, nice job. I tested your code on this page:

    http://mscir.tripod.com/obfuscate.htm

    Excuse the popups, cookies, and junk they insert into the page (it's a
    free site and they live by advertising).

    They messed up the page but it still works, the small blue dot at the
    top left of the page is the anchor and will bring up the default email
    client using 'mailto:' ... EFGrabber didn't find the email address.

    Mike

    mscir, Oct 2, 2004

  3. Philip Ronan

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Philip Ronan wrote:

    > <http://freespace.virgin.net/phil.ronan/scramble.html>

    The generated Javascript is invalid HTML.

    Replace this line:
    document.write('</A>');

    With this:
    document.write('<' + '/A>');

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Oct 3, 2004
  4. Philip Ronan

    Philip Ronan Guest

    On 3/10/04 12:12 am, Toby Inkster wrote:

    > Philip Ronan wrote:
    >
    >> <http://freespace.virgin.net/phil.ronan/scramble.html>

    > The generated Javascript is invalid HTML.
    >
    > Replace this line:
    > document.write('</A>');
    >
    > With this:
    > document.write('<' + '/A>');

    Thanks, Tony!

    Now fixed.

    --
    Philip Ronan

    Philip Ronan, Oct 3, 2004
  5. Re: obfuscate email link in mailto, protect from spammers, possible?

    On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 00:12:58 +0100, Toby Inkster
    <> wrote:

    [snip]

    > Replace this line:
    > document.write('</A>');