Re: Object Database (ODBMS) for Python

Discussion in 'Python' started by Niki Spahiev, Sep 1, 2003.

  1. Niki Spahiev

    Niki Spahiev Guest

    8/29/2003, 19:11:51, Paul D. Fernhout wrote:

    [...]
    PDF> Well, to chime in here, in a "friendly" competition / cooperation sort
    PDF> of way, the Pointrel Data Repository System,
    PDF> http://sourceforge.net/projects/pointrel/
    PDF> while not quite an object database (and admittedly its case being
    PDF> easier) has a simple API in the bare minimum use case (it has more
    PDF> complex variants). Here is an example of its use (with fragments
    PDF> inspired in response to an earlier c.l.p poster's use case a few days ago):

    How it compares with e4graph?

    --
    Best regards,
    Niki Spahiev
    Niki Spahiev, Sep 1, 2003

  2. Niki-

    Thanks for the pointer to e4graph. I found more info about it here:
    http://www.marshallbrain.com/robotic-freedom.htm

    There are several similarities -- and conceptually the ideas are very
    related (to the same extent the ER model is related to graphs).

    A few comments on part of their blurb on that page:

    "The e4Graph library allows you to model any kind of relationship
    between data that can be represented by a directed graph, including
    circular graphs of connections between data items. e4Graph is unique in
    that it allows these circular relationships to be represented directly
    rather than implicitly or through meta-data, as is necessitated by other
    approaches such as relational databases. A bi-directional link between
    two data items can be represented by two directed connections between
    those data items."

    The Pointrel Data Repository System allows circular relationships. All
    links in the Pointrel System are bi-directional (well, sort of quad
    directional in a way).

    Differences include:
    * The Pointrel System is in pure Python (e4graph is in C++ and uses a
    C++ database).
    * The Pointrel System suports the notion of "spaces" which could be seen
    as somewhat like "graphs" -- except query operations can span spaces (or
    even multiple archives for that matter).
    * The Pointrel System focuses more on complete history (e.g. tracking
    many versions of a linked node as it were in the e4graph metaphor).

    These comments are all off the top of my head after persuing the e4graph
    site for a few minutes; perhaps after looking more at e4graph I may
    realize some of these comments are incorrect or there may other
    important differences or similarities.

    Thanks again for pointing e4graph out.

    In general, the Pointrel System bears a resemblance to any system that
    implements something related to Peter Chen's "Entity Relational" (ER)
    model.
    http://bit.csc.lsu.edu/~chen/display.html
    http://www.cs.sfu.ca/CC/354/zaiane/material/notes/Chapter2/node1.html
    The Pointrel System is not quite the same as pure ER in some
    implementation details (e.g. it embeds the notion of a space, it focuses
    on triads not arbitrary relationships, the newer version doesn't have
    relations as first class objects, it doesn't seperate attributes from
    relations, etc.), but otherwise has many of the same features.

    --Paul Fernhout
    http://www.pointrel.org

    Paul D. Fernhout, Sep 1, 2003

  3. Paul D. Fernhout wrote:
    > Thanks for the pointer to e4graph. I found more info about it here:
    > http://www.marshallbrain.com/robotic-freedom.htm

    Oops, sorry, I had the wrong url in my cut&paste buffer and didn't do
    not enough proofreading. The (incorrect, and unrelated) URL I posted
    came from this recent Slashdot article:
    http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/08/31/182228&mode=thread
    on the future of jobs given robotics.

    The correct URL for the e4graph introduction I quoted is:
    http://www.e4graph.com/e4graph/e4graphintro.html

    --Paul Fernhout
    http://www.pointrel.org

    Paul D. Fernhout, Sep 1, 2003