Re: Old version docs don't link to current version

Discussion in 'Python' started by Terry Jan Reedy, May 12, 2013.

  1. On 5/12/2013 10:12 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
    > Not sure if this is an oversight or something deliberate... could be either.
    >
    > From http://docs.python.org/3.0/library/http.server.html there's no
    > link to the current docs, even though from
    > http://docs.python.org/3/library/http.server.html it's possible to
    > switch to 3.2 and then back to 3.3 (or to 2.7, but that fails and
    > redirects since http.server doesn't exist in 2.7). This wouldn't be
    > much of a bother, except that a Google search for 'python http.server'
    > (which is the way I normally pull up Python docs) landed me on /3.0/
    > instead of /3/.
    >
    > Was this intentional, along the lines of not touching the old and
    > unsupported docs?

    Cross referencing was added while 3.2 docs were still subject to
    revision. x.y docs are essentially frozen once the final x.y.z bugfix
    comes out.

    Since I always enter the docs through docs.python.org/3/ (or /2/) typing
    just 'd' on Firefox history bar brings up both on the short history list
    to select. I then use module or general index.

    Terry Jan Reedy, May 12, 2013