Re: On Comments

Discussion in 'Java' started by Roedy Green, May 22, 2008.

  1. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 22 May 2008 04:14:48 GMT, "Kenneth P. Turvey"
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    someone who said :

    >I have known many people that believe comments are really unnecessary in
    >well written code.

    I don't think they include JavaDoc and high level comments on what a
    class is for.

    What you don't need are idiotic comments like this:

    i++; // increment i.
    --

    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary

    Roedy Green, May 22, 2008

  2. Kenneth P. Turvey wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 May 2008 05:37:58 +0000, Roedy Green wrote:
    >> I don't think they include JavaDoc and high level comments on what a
    >> class is for.
    >>
    >> What you don't need are idiotic comments like this:
    >>
    >> i++; // increment i.

    > I agree. If methods are kept small, you probably don't need any comments
    > within methods.

    That is only if the code logic is relative simple. If it is
    can be understood based on normal programming knowledge then
    fine. But some code requires knowledge about the business
    or some advanced math stuff. In that case implementation
    notes is a very good thing.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, May 24, 2008