Re: One liners

Discussion in 'Python' started by Mark Lawrence, Dec 7, 2013.

  1. On 06/12/2013 23:54, Dan Stromberg wrote:

    > Does anyone else feel like Python is being dragged too far in the
    > direction of long, complex, multiline one-liners? Or avoiding temporary
    > variables with descriptive names? Or using regex's for everything under
    > the sun?
    >
    > What happened to using classes? What happened to the beautiful emphasis
    > on readability? What happened to debuggability (which is always harder
    > than writing things in the first place)? And what happened to string
    > methods?
    >
    > I'm pleased to see Python getting more popular, but it feels like a lot
    > of newcomers are trying their best to turn Python into Perl or
    > something, culturally speaking.

    I see all of the above as being down to poor quality programmers who are
    new to Python and have their priorities wrong. The following is
    extracted from Steve Maguire's "Writing Solid Code". It's my belief
    that this is a reasonable summing up.

    Jack's Priority List Jill's Priority List
    Correctness Correctness
    Global efficiency Testability
    Size Global efficiency
    Local efficiency Maintainability/clarity
    Personal convenience Consistency
    Maintainability/clarity Size
    Personal expression Local efficiency
    Testability Personal expression
    Consistency Personal convenience

    Jill wants to write good quality, Pythonic code, Jack doesn't, yep?

    what you can do for our language.

    Mark Lawrence

    Mark Lawrence, Dec 7, 2013