Re: Only 11 More Days Until the Incessant Posting Ends

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Gabor Sz, Mar 23, 2011.

  1. Gabor Sz

    Gabor Sz Guest

    On Tuesday, March 22, 2011 1:18:56 AM UTC-4, rickman wrote:
    > On Mar 21, 10:02 pm, Gabor Sz <> wrote:

    > > > You may "kill file" those messages. Check this option with your news reader.
    > > > If you are using Google Groups there's no hope (I'm sorry).

    > > > Al

    > > Actually I'm using Google Groups and those messages
    > > are already hidden.  I guess I have Rick to thank for
    > > that.
    > >
    > > -- Gabor

    > That's funny, I do flag them as spam, but they never seem to go away.
    > The other spam tends to disappear. Oh, I am still using the older
    > style interface. I tried the new groups interface and there all the
    > spam goes away pretty quickly and anything I flag is gone
    > immediately.
    >
    > I wonder why Google can't clear out the spam effectively from their
    > standard interface while they do with the new interface.
    >
    > Rick

    Well they don't really go away. They're just "hidden"
    in plain sight. Still a bit less annoying that seeing
    the bold uppercase thread titles...

    -- Gabor
    Gabor Sz, Mar 23, 2011

  2. On 3/23/2011 2:28 PM, Gabor Sz wrote:
    > On Tuesday, March 22, 2011 1:18:56 AM UTC-4, rickman wrote:
    >> On Mar 21, 10:02 pm, Gabor Sz <> wrote:

    [snip]

    >> That's funny, I do flag them as spam, but they never seem to go away.
    >> The other spam tends to disappear. Oh, I am still using the older
    >> style interface. I tried the new groups interface and there all the
    >> spam goes away pretty quickly and anything I flag is gone
    >> immediately.
    >>
    >> I wonder why Google can't clear out the spam effectively from their
    >> standard interface while they do with the new interface.
    >>
    >> Rick

    > Well they don't really go away. They're just "hidden"
    > in plain sight. Still a bit less annoying that seeing
    > the bold uppercase thread titles...
    >
    > -- Gabor

    FYI there is an interesting article with a tentative explanation of why
    GG does not work so effectively on SPAM:

    http://ejohn.org/blog/google-groups-is-dead/

    I disagree with the claim that GG is dead, but I believe GG hit the
    usenet community really bad, giving a false impression to newbies about
    what is a newsgroup at large.

    You may also read "current usenet spam threshold and guidelines"
    (<news:spam-faq.20110320070418$>), which gives you
    an idea of how the newsgroup administrators deal with the spam.

    Given the BI of the post the OP was complaining about, there's no chance
    any newsgroup, nor GG may flag that post as spam. Nevertheless with your
    newsreader you may easily "kill file" it.

    Al

    p.s.: Gabor if you find the time please read the "Common questions about
    using newsgroups" (<news:1jybfyz.10nomajcvi4weN%>),
    especially Q6 and the related A6
    Alessandro Basili, Mar 24, 2011