Re: onsgmls error

Discussion in 'XML' started by Arvin Portlock, Sep 1, 2005.

  1. Peter Flynn wrote:

    > Markus Grunwald wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > >markus@Eddie: > onsgmls -wxml -s /usr/share/sgml/declaration/xml.dcl
    > >index.xhtml onsgmls:/usr/share/sgml/declaration/xml.dcl:1:W: SGML
    > >declaration was not implied
    > >onsgmls:index.xhtml:3:55:E: DTD did not contain element declaration for
    > >document type name

    > Yes, onsgmls will always emit the warning about the SGML declaration not
    > being implied. I have no idea why James did this, but I'm sure his
    > reasoning was good :)
    >
    > ///Peter

    If you are using a catalog file you can put the SGML declaration
    there rather than passing it on the command line:

    SGMLDECL /usr/share/sgml/declaration/xml.dcl

    If memory serves me correctly, this won't cause an error to
    be generated.

    http://jclark.com/sp/catalog.htm

    I think onsgmls HAS to generate an error in this case since
    two separate files are being passed on the command line and
    onsgmls treats it as one file. That is, it treats it the same
    way as if the XML document has the declaration embedded within
    it right there at the top of the file, legal in SGML but
    DEFINITELY an error you want reported in the case of XML.
    Now if onsgmls were set up in such a way that the declaration
    could be passed with a command line switch, e.g., -dcl or
    something like that, then it would be reasonable to assume
    such errors could be supressed. But if you think THAT scenario
    through it's easy to see why onsgmls doesn't do that either.
    I think Mr. Clark got it exactly right in this case.

    Arvin Portlock, Sep 1, 2005

  2. Arvin Portlock

    Peter Flynn Guest

    Arvin Portlock wrote:

    > Peter Flynn wrote:
    >
    >> Markus Grunwald wrote:
    >>
    >> [...]
    >>
    >> >markus@Eddie: > onsgmls -wxml -s /usr/share/sgml/declaration/xml.dcl
    >> >index.xhtml onsgmls:/usr/share/sgml/declaration/xml.dcl:1:W: SGML
    >> >declaration was not implied
    >> >onsgmls:index.xhtml:3:55:E: DTD did not contain element declaration for
    >> >document type name

    >> Yes, onsgmls will always emit the warning about the SGML declaration not
    >> being implied. I have no idea why James did this, but I'm sure his
    >> reasoning was good :)
    >>
    >> ///Peter

    > If you are using a catalog file you can put the SGML declaration
    > there rather than passing it on the command line:
    >
    > SGMLDECL /usr/share/sgml/declaration/xml.dcl
    >
    > If memory serves me correctly, this won't cause an error to
    > be generated.
    >
    > http://jclark.com/sp/catalog.htm
    >
    > I think onsgmls HAS to generate an error in this case since
    > two separate files are being passed on the command line and
    > onsgmls treats it as one file. That is, it treats it the same
    > way as if the XML document has the declaration embedded within
    > it right there at the top of the file, legal in SGML but
    > DEFINITELY an error you want reported in the case of XML.
    > Now if onsgmls were set up in such a way that the declaration
    > could be passed with a command line switch, e.g., -dcl or
    > something like that, then it would be reasonable to assume
    > such errors could be supressed. But if you think THAT scenario
    > through it's easy to see why onsgmls doesn't do that either.

    Cool, many thanks.

    > I think Mr. Clark got it exactly right in this case.

    I never doubted it :)

    ///Peter

    Peter Flynn, Sep 3, 2005