Re: OO vs functional programming: what's a suitable newsgroup?

Discussion in 'C++' started by Nick Keighley, Mar 16, 2013.

  1. On Mar 14, 11:19 am, Andy Champ <> wrote:
    > I came across this in a job advert: "Experience of both functional and
    > Object Oriented design and engineering is essential as the product is
    > evolving from following a functional to an OO design discipline". I was
    > a bit surprised at this - I know little of functional programming (in
    > the Erlang/Haskell etc sense, which I assume is what they mean) but I'd
    > thought it was a newer paradigm.

    does newer mean better? Functional programming is probably much older
    than you think, when was lambda calculus invented?

    Nick Keighley, Mar 16, 2013

  2. Nick Keighley

    Nobody Guest

    On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 06:33:13 -0700, Nick Keighley wrote:

    > does newer mean better? Functional programming is probably much older than
    > you think, when was lambda calculus invented?

    1932.

    But functional *programming* isn't that old. Lisp was invented in 1958,
    and that's only tenuously related to the lambda calculus. The first
    languages to be fundamentally based upon such principles appeared
    in the early 1970's (ML, FP, SASL).
    Nobody, Mar 16, 2013