Re: Operator overloading a mistake??

Discussion in 'C++' started by Cy Edmunds, Jul 21, 2003.

  1. Cy Edmunds

    Cy Edmunds Guest

    "Paul Fame" <> wrote in message
    > Hello World
    >
    > In my University course teaching Java, my lecturer just claimed,
    > amongst other atrocities, that operator overloading in C++ was a
    > mistake, and that Java's lack of operator overloading was a "big step
    > forward".
    >
    > Can anyone else provide counter-arguments to this, to prove I am still
    > sane?
    >
    > Bye,
    >
    > - Paul

    Operator overloading is essential for C++ template programming which, I
    think it is quite clear by now, has been a success. If you are looking for a
    concrete example of the advantage this brings, ask your instructor to write
    a single collection class in Java which works for all built in types and any
    user defined objects.

    --
    Cy
    http://home.rochester.rr.com/cyhome/

    Cy Edmunds, Jul 21, 2003

  2. Cy Edmunds

    Clive Guest

    I'm sure he has his reasons for why he believes that operator overloading
    isn't good.

    Try not to rub it in his face. It doesn't help your marks.

    Clive, Jul 26, 2003