Re: Optgroup </optgroup> and display: none style ...

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Adrienne Boswell, Oct 10, 2008.

  1. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Koteczek" <>
    writing in news:gcncia$5ms$:

    > Hello
    >
    > This is my code ( html is okay - but browsers do not do what they
    > should do
    >:/ )
    >
    > On my page I have a little form and a select:
    >
    > <select ....>
    > <optgroup label="ABCDEF" style="display: none;" id="hidden">
    > <option ....>something 1</option>
    > <option ....>something 2</option>
    > </optgroup>
    > </select>
    >

    > And the problem is as follows:
    >
    > FireFox = correct rendering, ABCDEF does not show up - it is hidden by
    > 'display none' is't it?
    >
    > M$ Explorer = displays this optgroup like others, it does not respect
    > display none style at all, like the style was not there! :-(
    >
    > Opera 9.6 = does not display <options> within the optgroup but "empty"
    > optgroup IS being displayed. I hide optgroup and its content not only
    > the content! That is crazy....
    >
    > I must have it like the code = this one optgroup must be hidden and I
    > display it when I want via JavaScript.
    >
    > the problem is with IE and Opera this browsers do what they want, not
    > what the code wants them to do ....
    >
    > What Can I do about it?
    >
    > TIA!

    1. A URL would certainly be helpful
    2. Why does the optgroup have to be hidden? It seems illogical.
    3. HTML is not code, it is markup.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Oct 10, 2008

  2. Adrienne Boswell

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns9B334464E64C7arbpenyahoocom@69.16.185.247>,
    Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:

    > 3. HTML is not code, it is markup.

    It is a loose convention now to say this, the tide is too strong ...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 10, 2008

  3. On 2008-10-10, Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > 3. HTML is not code, it is markup.

    HTML certainly is code; it is not programming code, but it is code.

    Author:

    Chris F.A. Johnson, Oct 10, 2008
  4. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Chris F.A. Johnson"
    <> writing in news:73a23$48efd7c0$cef88ba3$20092
    @TEKSAVVY.COM:

    > On 2008-10-10, Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    >> 3. HTML is not code, it is markup.

    > HTML certainly is code; it is not programming code, but it is code.

    No, HTML is not code, it is markup. HTML elements are used to mark up a
    document, CSS to style said document. Server side languages generate
    HTML markup. Javascript, ASP, PHP, other server side or application code
    is code.

    You might find this interesting (it says absolutely nothing about code,
    just marking up docments):
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-talk/1991SepOct/0003.html

    Adrienne Boswell, Oct 11, 2008
  5. On 2008-10-11, Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Chris F.A. Johnson"
    ><> writing in news:73a23$48efd7c0$cef88ba3$20092
    > @TEKSAVVY.COM:
    >
    >> On 2008-10-10, Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    >>> 3. HTML is not code, it is markup.

    >> HTML certainly is code; it is not programming code, but it is code.

    > No, HTML is not code, it is markup.

    Markup IS a form of code. Look up the word code in any dictionary.

    > HTML elements are used to mark up a
    > document, CSS to style said document. Server side languages generate
    > HTML markup. Javascript, ASP, PHP, other server side or application code
    > is code.
    >
    > You might find this interesting (it says absolutely nothing about code,
    > just marking up docments):
    > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-talk/1991SepOct/0003.html

    Nor does it say anything about text; does that mean that markup is
    not text?

    It doesn't say anything about language; does that mean that HTML is
    not a language?

    Author:

    Chris F.A. Johnson, Oct 11, 2008
  6. Koteczek wrote:

    >> 1. A URL would certainly be helpful

    > markup in the post below

    That's foolish. You require everyone who wants to help you to take the
    trouble of creating and uploading a web page.

    Don't be surprised if people don't bother helping you.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Oct 17, 2008
  7. Koteczek wrote:

    >> That's foolish. You require everyone who wants to help you to take
    >> the trouble of creating and uploading a web page.

    > The same "trouble" is to send a reply with no help,

    You have no idea how much trouble it might be to each person.

    > and you did it.

    I did, because it might help some people, though apparently not you. You
    have decided to remain counter-productive and unhelpful to people who you
    ask to help you.

    Please keep using your apparently forged From field as long as you remain
    clueless. Thank you in advance.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Oct 17, 2008
  8. Adrienne Boswell

    dorayme Guest

    In article <mY1Kk.80757$>,
    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:

    > Please keep using your apparently forged From field as long as you remain
    > clueless. Thank you in advance.

    I have been racking my brains for the corollaries to this.

    For example, let's suppose OP at some stage gets a clue. What quite
    follows about his apparently forged From field? Will it then not appear
    so forged? Or will it be OK for it to appear to be forged? Or even OK to
    be forged? Or is it that when said OP gets a clue, he will ipso facto
    drop the appearance or the substance of the forgery? Or that he *should*
    drop the appearance or the substance of the forgery when and only when
    he gets a clue?

    <g>

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 17, 2008
  9. Adrienne Boswell

    Bergamot Guest

    Koteczek wrote:

    > If someone really wants to help he will copy markup and paste to the editor -
    > 10 seconds for me to do that.

    Well, then, why don't you just do that, upload it somewhere and save us
    the trouble?

    FYI you providing a URL is the accepted practice of this group. If you
    can't be bothered to make this small effort, why should we? You bite the
    hand that feeds you...

    > I HAVE NO public server at the moment

    Heard that one about a million times, and it's no better excuse now than
    it ever was before. There are plenty of places where you can get some
    free hosting if you really need it. Most ISPs offer some with regular
    internet service, and there is always crappy yahoo/geocities if you're
    desperate.

    > Bergamot is one to be right.

    And I'm right about this, too. ;)

    [snip code]