Re: Optgroup </optgroup> and display: none style ...

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jukka K. Korpela, Oct 11, 2008.

  1. Koteczek wrote:

    > <optgroup label="ABCDEF" style="display: none;" id="hidden">
    > <option ....>something 1</option>
    > <option ....>something 2</option>
    > </optgroup>
    > </select>
    >
    > And the problem is as follows:
    >
    > FireFox = correct rendering, ABCDEF does not show up - it is hidden
    > by 'display none' is't it?

    Since you declare the _element_ <optgroup> to have display: none, it should
    not be displayed, by CSS specifications, when your style sheet is applied.
    The <option> elements are subelements of <optgroup>, so they should not be
    displayed either, and any declaration for them cannot override this; see
    http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#display-prop

    So Firefox is wrong if it does what you say. I'm too lazy to check this,
    especially since you didn't post a URL.

    > M$ Explorer = displays this optgroup like others, it does not respect
    > display none style at all, like the style was not there! :-(

    Such things may happen. Remember the usual CSS Caveats.

    > Opera 9.6 = does not display <options> within the optgroup but
    > "empty" optgroup IS being displayed. I hide optgroup and its content
    > not only the content! That is crazy....

    Crazy it may be - you haven't described what you are really doing and
    haven't included a URL - but Opera's behavior, if described correctly here,
    would be closest to the specs of the three, though not conformant.

    > I must have it like the code = this one optgroup must be hidden and I
    > display it when I want via JavaScript.

    Then you need to gain totalitarian control over the world so that you can
    force everyone to browse with both CSS and JavaScript support enabled.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Oct 11, 2008

  2. Jukka K. Korpela

    Ari Heino Guest

    Koteczek kirjoitti seuraavasti:
    > I DO NOT want this optgroup to be visible to the user when he loads the
    > page.
    > I want to display these options only when certain JS event happens.

    I tested your code. Have you noticed that though the last option is not
    visible, you can still select it with arrow keys (in FF also)?
    I don't know is that a new problem for you. The display: none doesn't
    make it non-existent to any browser. Maybe you know this already, just
    making sure.
    To the given problem, I have no ideas. I'm not an expert.

    --
    Ari
    http://users.utu.fi/athein/
    Ari Heino, Oct 17, 2008