Re: Optimizing math functions

Discussion in 'Python' started by Esmail, May 24, 2009.

  1. Esmail

    Esmail Guest

    Robert Kern wrote:

    > We have several bounded optimization routines in scipy.
    >
    > http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/optimize.html

    Hi Robert,

    Thanks for the lead .. I briefly looked at the documentation, but
    before I dig into this more deeply 2 quick questions:

    1. Will is also allow me to maximize a function (I only saw minimum)?

    2. Will it give me the global minima/maxima?

    I only ask because I got all excited to see that R has an optimize
    function but unfortunately it can not deal with multi-modal functions.
    I am trying to come up with some complex test cases for a genetic
    algorithm I'm working with, both for functions using f(x) and f(x,y) over a
    variety of intervals so I would like to have a way to verify results for
    more challenging functions.

    Thanks a lot,

    Esmail
    Esmail, May 24, 2009

  2. Esmail

    John Machin Guest

    On May 24, 10:42 pm, Esmail <> wrote:
    > Robert Kern wrote:
    >
    > > We have several bounded optimization routines in scipy.

    > >http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/optimize.html

    > Hi Robert,
    >
    > Thanks for the lead .. I briefly looked at the documentation, but
    > before I dig into this more deeply 2 quick questions:
    >
    > 1. Will is also allow me to maximize a function (I only saw minimum)?

    To maximise f(x,y), minimise -f(x,y)

    HTH,
    John
    John Machin, May 24, 2009

  3. Esmail

    Esmail Guest

    John Machin wrote:

    >> 1. Will is also allow me to maximize a function (I only saw minimum)?

    > To maximise f(x,y), minimise -f(x,y)

    Ooops .. yes of course!

    Thanks,
    Esmail