    From: Aurelio Martin [mailto:]
    Sent: 28 January 2004 13:55
    Subject: Re: Oracle beginner problem: can't connect to Oracle using
    cx_Oracle

    Benson, John wrote:
    > Hi, I'm a non-Oracle guy just starting to use Python to explore Oracle.
    > I enclose the Python command prompt log for the usage example further
    > down with only the user, password and host names changed to keep me out
    > of trouble. But first, I'd like to point out that I'm able to logon to
    > myhost, and get into the following via SQL*Plus using myuser/mypassword
    >
    > Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.3.0 - Production
    > With the Partitioning option
    > JServer Release 8.1.7.3.0 - Production
    >
    > (end quote of Unix box SQL*Plus stuff)
    >
    > so I know that myuser/mypassword works for SQL*Plus on the myhost Unix
    > box.
    >
    > I downloaded the cx_Oracle Python interface to Oracle(r) Version: 4.0
    > Date: December 17, 2003 Win32 binary for Oracle 8i, Python 2.) and
    > proceeded to exercise the usage example:
    >
    > PythonWin 2.3.2 (#49, Oct 2 2003, 20:02:00) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)]
    > on win32.
    > Portions Copyright 1994-2001 Mark Hammond () -
    > see 'Help/About PythonWin' for further copyright information.

    > Traceback (most recent call last):
    > File "<interactive input>", line 1, in ?
    > DatabaseError: ORA-12514: TNS:listener could not resolve SERVICE_NAME
    > given in connect descriptor

    I think it's a problem with the connection data in your Windows PC.
    You have tested a local connection ( user/password ) on the Unix host
    with SQL*Plus.
    Have you tried a remote connection ( user/password@host ) from your
    Windows PC with SQL*Plus ?
    I think you will find the same problem if you try it with SQL*Plus.

    Probably the connection data in your TNSNAMES.ORA file is not correct.

    Hope this helps

    Aurelio

    Pieter Claerhout, Jan 28, 2004