Re: Organisation of python classes and their methods

Discussion in 'Python' started by Peter Otten, Nov 2, 2012.

  1. Peter Otten

    Peter Otten Guest

    Martin Hewitson wrote:

    > Dear list,
    >
    > I'm relatively new to Python and have googled and googled but haven't
    > found a reasonable answer to this question, so I thought I'd ask it here.
    >
    > I'm beginning a large Python project which contains many packages, modules
    > and classes. The organisation of those is clear to me.
    >
    > Now, the classes can contain many methods (100s of data analysis methods)
    > which operate on instances of the class they belong to. These methods can
    > be long and complex. So if I put these methods all in the module file
    > inside the class, the file will get insanely long. Reading on google, the
    > answer is usually "refactor", but that really doesn't make sense here.
    > It's just that the methods are many, and each method can be a long piece
    > of code. So, is there a way to put these methods in their own files and
    > have them 'included' in the class somehow? I read a little about mixins
    > but all the solutions looked very hacky. Is there an official python way
    > to do this? I don't like having source files with 100's of lines of code
    > in, let alone 1000's.

    You googled, found the right answer ("refactor"), didn't like it and are now
    looking to cure the symptoms of the original problem?
    Seriously, a good editor can deal with a long source file, but a class with
    hundreds of methods will bring trouble to any old brain.

    Peter Otten, Nov 2, 2012