Re: OT: Apology

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by E. Robert Tisdale, Jul 27, 2003.

  1. Steve Zimmerman wrote:

    > I'm such an ass....I'm sorry for my inappropriate posts
    > regarding learning C from Linux. I'm new to email and
    > I've discovered it brings out a side of me that I don't like:
    > an asshole side!

    A true asshole would never admit to it.

    E. Robert Tisdale, Jul 27, 2003

  2. E. Robert Tisdale wrote:

    > Steve Zimmerman wrote:
    >
    >> I'm such an ass....I'm sorry for my inappropriate posts
    >> regarding learning C from Linux. I'm new to email and
    >> I've discovered it brings out a side of me that I don't like:
    >> an asshole side!

    > A true asshole would never admit to it.

    I didn't mean me, I meant you. You'd better brush up on
    the standard C streams: 0 for stdin, 1 for stdout, 2 for stderr;
    my apology was in stderr; the fact that you are an asshole
    is in stdex (standard existents).

    Steve Zimmerman, Jul 30, 2003

  3. E. Robert Tisdale

    Richard Bos Guest

    Steve Zimmerman <> wrote:

    > I didn't mean me, I meant you. You'd better brush up on
    > the standard C streams: 0 for stdin, 1 for stdout, 2 for stderr;

    And where, in the Standard, do you read that these numbers are
    associated in any way whatsoever with those streams? More to the point,
    where in the Standard are _any_ numbers associated with _any_ FILE *s?

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Jul 30, 2003
  4. Steve Zimmerman wrote:

    > E. Robert Tisdale wrote:

    >> A true asshole would never admit to it.
    >>

    > I didn't mean me, I meant you. You'd better brush up on
    > the standard C streams: 0 for stdin, 1 for stdout, 2 for stderr;
    > my apology was in stderr; the fact that you are an asshole
    > is in stdex (standard existents).

    While I agree with you about E. Robert Tisdale, in this instance you are
    wrong about C. There is nothing in C associating those integers with
    the pre-defined streams. The FILE * type is opaque, and there is
    nothing to be said about the contents of the pointed-to structure or
    about how they might be tied to any OS or hardware implementation
    without going outside the scope of the language.

    Martin Ambuhl, Jul 30, 2003