Re: OT: EDA tools on AMD-64?

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Larry Doolittle, Aug 1, 2003.

  1. In article <bgc7rr$fj3$1$>, Joe wrote:

    > Not really VHDL/Verilog question but I guess lots of people
    > here would be interested.
    >
    > Any news about support of EDA tools running on AMD-64 platform?
    > (Especially backend stuffs which likely to take up more memory).

    Icarus Verilog has supported 64-bit platforms for a long time now.
    Linux Journal just reviewed it for AMD-64/Linux. It runs roughly
    twice as fast as the fastest Athlon, and breaks the 4 Gig limit
    for a design memory footprint easily.

    I'm not sure how well AMD-64 does on a throughput/dollar metric,
    but if you need more than 4 Gig per-process virtual memory, your
    other choices get very expensive very fast.

    - Larry

    Larry Doolittle, Aug 1, 2003