Re: [OT] facebook

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by jacob navia, Mar 19, 2012.

  1. jacob navia

    jacob navia Guest

    Le 18/03/12 22:33, io_x a écrit :
    > where are the faq on facebook?
    >
    > Thank you

    Personally, I am not in facebook.

    And I do not have any "linked-in", twitter,
    or similar accounts.

    Why should I give my personal information to corporations so that THEY
    make money with MY data?

    Please explain me that. I am probably too stupid to understand where
    would be MY interest in the whole thing.
    jacob navia, Mar 19, 2012

  2. jacob navia

    BruceS Guest

    OT: Re: facebook

    On Mar 19, 7:05 am, jacob navia <> wrote:
    > Le 18/03/12 22:33, io_x a crit :> where are the faq on facebook?
    >
    > > Thank you

    > Personally, I am not in facebook.
    >
    > And I do not have any "linked-in", twitter,
    > or similar accounts.
    >
    > Why should I give my personal information to corporations so that THEY
    > make money with MY data?
    >
    > Please explain me that. I am probably too stupid to understand where
    > would be MY interest in the whole thing.

    This is entirely off topic, but IMO the whole thread is. The reason
    one creates and uses a Facebook account is not to enrich some
    corporation, but rather to find and reconnect with old friends, and to
    have a convenient forum in which to maintain those connections. I've
    used it to find people I knew decades ago. The reason one has a
    LinkedIn account is to facilitate professional networking, so that one
    may more easily find an appropriate position, or a person to fill a
    position. This is really quite simple, and should not be confusing.
    The reason these companies exist and provide these services is to
    enrich themselves. This also should not be confusing to you. I hope
    I've helped you understand this. If you have no interest in these
    networking tools, by all means skip them! Lots of people do, and IMO
    it does them little if any harm.

    Someone with no interest in C might just as well ask why they should
    spend their time and effort on a language they have no interest in.

    <requisite (sort of) on-topic> Kudos on lcc-win. I've downloaded and
    tried out the package, and it's really quite well done.
    BruceS, Mar 19, 2012

  3. jacob navia

    gwowen Guest

    Re: facebook

    On Mar 19, 1:05 pm, jacob navia <> wrote:
    > Please explain me that. I am probably too stupid to understand where
    > would be MY interest in the whole thing.

    I a sometimes use it as a medium of communication to keep in touch
    with friends.
    I don't know what you could use it for either.
    gwowen, Mar 19, 2012
  4. jacob navia

    jacob navia Guest

    Re: facebook

    Le 19/03/12 17:27, gwowen a écrit :
    > On Mar 19, 1:05 pm, jacob navia<> wrote:
    >> Please explain me that. I am probably too stupid to understand where
    >> would be MY interest in the whole thing.

    > I a sometimes use it as a medium of communication to keep in touch
    > with friends.
    > I don't know what you could use it for either.

    When I want to keep in touch I:

    o Phone my friends
    o Drop by, have a talk
    o We meet at a restaurant, movie, whatever

    I use email sometimes, when they are far away, or Skype.

    There are SO MANY communications ways now that it is difficult to
    enumerate them all.

    Why do people support facebook?

    Well, because it is the fad of the day, that is. Tell that to
    my son (17 years old).

    He is in facebook all day (and night :-()

    But maybe I am just too old to understand the new fads. :)

    jacob
    jacob navia, Mar 19, 2012
  5. jacob navia

    Bl0ckeduser Guest

    Re: facebook

    jacob navia wrote:
    > Why do people support facebook?
    >
    > Well, because it is the fad of the day, that is. Tell that to
    > my son (17 years old).
    >
    > He is in facebook all day (and night :-()

    I'm 18, and the two standard means of communication around here are
    cellphone and facebook. We quite like the "Facebook Chat" feature, which
    is basically a poorly implemented (JavaScript / AJAX) version of IRC
    chatting. (Most often one-one-one chatting is used).

    Most people I know (including me) are probably addicted enough to check
    their facebook accounts at least twice everyday.
    Bl0ckeduser, Mar 19, 2012
  6. Re: facebook

    In article <jk8g9k$l44$>,
    Bl0ckeduser <> wrote:
    >jacob navia wrote:
    >> Why do people support facebook?
    >>
    >> Well, because it is the fad of the day, that is. Tell that to
    >> my son (17 years old).
    >>
    >> He is in facebook all day (and night :-()

    >I'm 18, and the two standard means of communication around here are
    >cellphone and facebook. We quite like the "Facebook Chat" feature, which
    >is basically a poorly implemented (JavaScript / AJAX) version of IRC
    >chatting. (Most often one-one-one chatting is used).
    >
    >Most people I know (including me) are probably addicted enough to check
    >their facebook accounts at least twice everyday.

    Sounds like you need therapy. Does your (or your parents') insurance cover
    it?

    --
    A liberal, a moderate, and a conservative walk into a bar...

    Bartender says, "Hi, Mitt!"
    Kenny McCormack, Mar 20, 2012
  7. Re: facebook

    (Gordon Burditt) writes:

    >> Most people I know (including me) are probably addicted enough to check
    >> their facebook accounts at least twice everyday.

    > Twice a *DAY*? I thought Facebook users usually tried (and often
    > failed) to limit checking for facebook messages less often than
    > twice a *MINUTE*.

    I don't understand Facebook users either. I have an account because
    some web fora authenticate to it. But I put pretty much nothing on my
    Facebook account and I check it about twice a year.

    -- Patrick
    Patrick Scheible, Mar 20, 2012
  8. jacob navia

    Joe Pfeiffer Guest

    Re: facebook

    Patrick Scheible <> writes:

    > (Gordon Burditt) writes:
    >
    >>> Most people I know (including me) are probably addicted enough to check
    >>> their facebook accounts at least twice everyday.

    >> Twice a *DAY*? I thought Facebook users usually tried (and often
    >> failed) to limit checking for facebook messages less often than
    >> twice a *MINUTE*.

    > I don't understand Facebook users either. I have an account because
    > some web fora authenticate to it. But I put pretty much nothing on my
    > Facebook account and I check it about twice a year.

    For me it's become a very standard way I keep up with many of my
    friends -- some local I see almost every day, others I haven't seen in
    person in decades and only got back in touch with when one or the other
    of us thought to check whether the other one was on FB. I'm not quite
    in the once a minute camp, but I'm not terribly far off.
    Joe Pfeiffer, Mar 20, 2012
  9. Re: facebook

    Joe Pfeiffer <> writes:
    > Patrick Scheible <> writes:
    >>>
    >>> Twice a *DAY*? I thought Facebook users usually tried (and often
    >>> failed) to limit checking for facebook messages less often than
    >>> twice a *MINUTE*.

    >> I don't understand Facebook users either. I have an account because
    >> some web fora authenticate to it. But I put pretty much nothing on my
    >> Facebook account and I check it about twice a year.

    > For me it's become a very standard way I keep up with many of my
    > friends -- some local I see almost every day, others I haven't seen in
    > person in decades and only got back in touch with when one or the other
    > of us thought to check whether the other one was on FB. I'm not quite
    > in the once a minute camp, but I'm not terribly far off.

    For me it's something that has absolutely nothing to do with the C
    programming language, which is what we generally discuss here.

    Will write code for food.
    Keith Thompson, Mar 20, 2012
  10. jacob navia

    Rui Maciel Guest

    io_x wrote:

    >> Please explain me that. I am probably too stupid to understand where
    >> would be MY interest in the whole thing.

    > the reason? for to know more

    To know more about what? You just stated that the faq isn't available in
    facebook, so it can't possibly be about that.

    Rui Maciel
    Rui Maciel, Mar 21, 2012
  11. jacob navia

    Rui Maciel Guest

    Re: facebook

    Bl0ckeduser wrote:

    > Most people I know (including me) are probably addicted enough to check
    > their facebook accounts at least twice everyday.

    That sounds like a problem you need to fix.

    Rui Maciel
    Rui Maciel, Mar 21, 2012
  12. jacob navia

    Bl0ckeduser Guest

    Re: facebook

    Kenneth Brody wrote:
    > On 3/21/2012 10:25 AM, Rui Maciel wrote:
    >> Bl0ckeduser wrote:
    >>
    >>> Most people I know (including me) are probably addicted enough to check
    >>> their facebook accounts at least twice everyday.

    >> That sounds like a problem you need to fix.

    > Yup. "Twice a day" isn't enough of an addiction. You need to post stuff
    > on their wall, and call them 30 seconds later, because they hadn't
    > replied yet. Repeat 10 times a day.
    >
    > (Like those stupid "that's so 21 seconds ago" 4G phone commercials.)

    Bah, could be much worse. I just check it quickly in the evening and
    sometimes in the morning to see if any of my (real) friends sent me a
    message. At one point someone I know was arriving from another country
    and had nowhere to stay, and he was lucky that I answered on the same day.

    But I won't talk more about Facebook, because as Mr. Thompson points out
    in another sub-thread, it's a bit off topic for this newsgroup­.
    Bl0ckeduser, Mar 21, 2012