Re: OT furlough

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by KPAX, Oct 3, 2013.

  1. KPAX

    KPAX Guest

    On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 18:48:26 -0700, Cal Dershowitz <>
    wrote:

    >One of the largest emploers fof C programmers just decided to send home
    >800,000 employees because the tea party wanted to have a tantrum. I'm
    >evaluating what goes undone for the next 15 days.
    >
    >Did you get furloughed by uncle sam? Not receive contracts you were
    >looking for?
    >
    >It would be nice if comments could eventually relate to C so as to
    >exonerate the OTness.

    To government employees I say welcome to my world. Furloughs in private
    sector jobs are commonplace and it's high time those in cushy government
    jobs got a taste of insecurity. I have lost count of the number of times I
    have been furloughed in my 40+ year career. I have lost pension rights, had
    to convert from pension to 401(k) or IRA and I'm pretty damn tired of
    seeing congress voting itself raises and taking bribes from corporations
    for votes and contracts.

    It's unfortunate that layoffs and furloughs are not more common in
    government since the "income" of the business of government is essentially
    extortion of money by threat of imprisonment of the "donors". Then when
    self funding enterprises like USPS are actually profitable Congress swoops
    in and either steals the money outright or dictates where the money must be
    spent.

    The government of the United States also needs to learn to keep within a
    budget and learn to spend effectively. USG contracts are a farce.

    The only people who deserve to be truly exempt from suspension of pay are
    the enlisted men and women of the armed forces.
    KPAX, Oct 3, 2013

  2. KPAX

    Les Cargill Guest

    KPAX wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 18:48:26 -0700, Cal Dershowitz <>
    > wrote:

    <snip>

    > The government of the United States also needs to learn to keep within a
    > budget and learn to spend effectively. USG contracts are a farce.

    *Ahem* Government debt does not work that way.

    So here y'go. It's a good primer that I pass around like a Jehovah's
    Witness passes around The Watchtower:

    http://wfhummel.cnchost.com/

    Do you know, for one, that the actions taking place now actually
    make tyhe risk of rising interest rates *greater*? That would be bad,
    since basic revenue has not yet recovered, nor have wages, nor have

    Last time we mismanaged the economy this badly, it caused
    WWII.

    --
    Les Cargill
    Les Cargill, Oct 3, 2013

  3. KPAX

    Rui Maciel Guest

    wrote:

    > To government employees I say welcome to my world. Furloughs in private
    > sector jobs are commonplace and it's high time those in cushy government
    > jobs got a taste of insecurity.

    It looks to me that the problem doesn't really lie in the cushyness of those hypothetical
    government jobs. You don't improve your life by worsening other people's lives.

    Plus, this topic is completely OT.

    Rui Maciel
    Rui Maciel, Oct 4, 2013
  4. On Saturday, October 5, 2013 7:51:31 AM UTC+1, Cal Dershowitz wrote:

    > It's OT for clc under normal circumstances.
    >
    > Rui, I've become a bit of a pater confessor for hackers.
    >
    > Keith and Chuck claimed that data mining was OT. I could not speak to
    > the flawed methodolgies of data mining in clc.

    Obama's budget woes are totally OT for this group. Many readers aren't even
    American.

    Data mining is OT, but a related topic, since C may be used directly for
    data mining applications. There's a question about where to draw the line,
    in former days the ng was busier and so even discussion of C libraries
    or extensions was held to be unacceptable. Now it's sensible to show a bit
    more latitude.
    Also, discussions drift on and off-topic, for instance we had a discussion
    about xml parsers which started off with the C-language issues of libraries
    and dependencies and interfaces, but went off a bit onto the requirements
    for an xml parser itself. That's acceptable.
    Malcolm McLean, Oct 5, 2013
  5. In article <>,
    Malcolm McLean <> wrote:
    >The US's budget woes are totally OT for this group. Many readers aren't even
    >American.

    Yes, but it has been widely noted that the Republican-fueled US problems
    could very well bring down the world economy. What the US does does very
    much affect every single person in the world.

    Given the so-called "special relationship" between the US & the UK, I would
    imagine that the UK would be one of the first affected (say, if the US
    defaults).

    >Data mining is OT, but a related topic, since C may be used directly for
    >data mining applications. There's a question about where to draw the line,
    >in former days the ng was busier and so even discussion of C libraries
    >or extensions was held to be unacceptable. Now it's sensible to show a bit
    >more latitude.

    No. Chairman Kiki sets the agenda, and his rules are not influenced by
    such trivia as newsgroup volume.

    >Also, discussions drift on and off-topic, for instance we had a discussion
    >about xml parsers which started off with the C-language issues of libraries
    >and dependencies and interfaces, but went off a bit onto the requirements
    >for an xml parser itself. That's acceptable.

    No. And I believe Chairman Kiki will back me up on this.

    As you well know, anything having to do with "libraries" and/or
    "dependencies" and/or "interfaces" are totally OT.

    --
    "The anti-regulation business ethos is based on the charmingly naive notion
    that people will not do unspeakable things for money." - Dana Carpender

    Quoted by Paul Ciszek (pciszek at panix dot com). But what I want to know
    is why is this diet/low-carb food author doing making pithy political/economic
    statements?

    Nevertheless, the above quote is dead-on, because, the thing is - business
    in one breath tells us they don't need to be regulated (which is to say:
    that they can morally self-regulate), then in the next breath tells us that
    corporations are amoral entities which have no obligations to anyone except
    their officers and shareholders, then in the next breath they tell us they
    don't need to be regulated (that they can morally self-regulate) ...
    Kenny McCormack, Oct 5, 2013
  6. On Saturday, October 5, 2013 1:37:06 PM UTC+1, Kenny McCormack wrote:

    > No. And I believe Chairman Kiki will back me up on this.
    >
    > As you well know, anything having to do with "libraries" and/or
    > "dependencies" and/or "interfaces" are totally OT.

    We'll I'm considering a rewrite of the vanilla xml parser.
    It's got the functionality required, but it will choke on some well-formed
    but fancy xml. Which isn't ideal.
    Malcolm McLean, Oct 5, 2013
  7. Rui Maciel <> writes:
    > wrote:
    >> To government employees I say welcome to my world. Furloughs in private
    >> sector jobs are commonplace and it's high time those in cushy government
    >> jobs got a taste of insecurity.

    > It looks to me that the problem doesn't really lie in the cushyness of those hypothetical
    > government jobs. You don't improve your life by worsening other people's lives.
    >
    > Plus, this topic is completely OT.

    Yes, it is. Sharing your thoughts about a topic *and then*
    suggesting that it's inappropriate to discuss it here is not a good
    way to get that point across.

    I encourage everyone to let this thread die. There's no shortage
    of places to discuss current political events. I do not intend to
    post in this thread again.

    Keith Thompson, Oct 5, 2013
  8. KPAX

    Les Cargill Guest

    Malcolm McLean wrote:
    > On Saturday, October 5, 2013 1:37:06 PM UTC+1, Kenny McCormack wrote:
    >>
    >> No. And I believe Chairman Kiki will back me up on this.
    >>
    >> As you well know, anything having to do with "libraries" and/or
    >> "dependencies" and/or "interfaces" are totally OT.
    >>

    > We'll I'm considering a rewrite of the vanilla xml parser.
    > It's got the functionality required, but it will choke on some well-formed
    > but fancy xml. Which isn't ideal.

    Have a gander at ezXML if you're considering a rewrite. Just saying...

    --
    Les Cargill
    Les Cargill, Oct 5, 2013
  9. In article <>,
    Keith Thompson <> wrote:
    >Rui Maciel <> writes:
    >> wrote:
    >>> To government employees I say welcome to my world. Furloughs in private
    >>> sector jobs are commonplace and it's high time those in cushy government
    >>> jobs got a taste of insecurity.

    >> It looks to me that the problem doesn't really lie in the cushyness of those

    >hypothetical
    >> government jobs. You don't improve your life by worsening other people's lives.
    >>
    >> Plus, this topic is completely OT.

    >Yes, it is. Sharing your thoughts about a topic *and then*
    >suggesting that it's inappropriate to discuss it here is not a good
    >way to get that point across.
    >
    >I encourage everyone to let this thread die. There's no shortage
    >of places to discuss current political events. I do not intend to
    >post in this thread again.

    As predicted, Chairman Kiki lays down the law.

    All are expected to obey.

    --
    (The Republican mind, in a nutshell)
    You believe things that are incomprehensible, inconsistent, impossible

    (Alternative condensed translation)
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities".
    Kenny McCormack, Oct 6, 2013