Re: [OT] How to use file.dll directly?

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Keith Thompson, Aug 11, 2013.

  1. "Bertram" <> writes:
    > It possible use file.dll of Windows with Mingw, directly, without
    > file.h and .lib?

    You'll get better answers in a form that deals with Windows programming.
    The C language itself says nothing about DLLs.

    Keith Thompson, Aug 11, 2013

  2. On Sunday, August 11, 2013 10:04:47 PM UTC+1, Keith Thompson wrote:
    > "Bertram" <> writes:
    >
    > > It possible use file.dll of Windows with Mingw, directly, without
    > > file.h and .lib?

    > You'll get better answers in a form that deals with Windows programming.
    > The C language itself says nothing about DLLs.

    It is kind of a language issue, however.
    The linker is topical and part of the compiler suite. Dlls link in a funny way.
    Malcolm McLean, Aug 12, 2013

  3. Keith Thompson

    James Kuyper Guest

    On 08/12/2013 06:56 AM, Malcolm McLean wrote:
    > On Sunday, August 11, 2013 10:04:47 PM UTC+1, Keith Thompson wrote:
    >> "Bertram" <> writes:
    >>
    >>> It possible use file.dll of Windows with Mingw, directly, without
    >>> file.h and .lib?

    >> You'll get better answers in a form that deals with Windows programming.
    >> The C language itself says nothing about DLLs.
    >>

    > It is kind of a language issue, however.
    > The linker is topical and part of the compiler suite. Dlls link in a funny way.

    But what's funny about how DLLs link in Windows has everything to do
    with Windows, and nothing to do with the C standard.
    --
    James Kuyper
    James Kuyper, Aug 12, 2013
  4. Malcolm McLean <> writes:
    > On Sunday, August 11, 2013 10:04:47 PM UTC+1, Keith Thompson wrote:
    >> "Bertram" <> writes:
    >>
    >> > It possible use file.dll of Windows with Mingw, directly, without
    >> > file.h and .lib?

    >> You'll get better answers in a form that deals with Windows programming.
    >> The C language itself says nothing about DLLs.
    >>

    > It is kind of a language issue, however.
    > The linker is topical and part of the compiler suite. Dlls link in a funny way.

    The behavior of DLLs is the same for C as for other compiled languages,
    and is different for, for example, Windows vs. Linux (which has dynamic
    libraries but doesn't call them DLLs).

    Keith Thompson, Aug 12, 2013