Re: [OT?] Open source project recommendations

Discussion in 'Java' started by Simon Brooke, Jun 21, 2010.

  1. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 08:44:58 -0700, Patricia Shanahan wrote:

    > I'm looking for an open source project to join. I want to get back to
    > the challenge of non-trivial programming. After years of solo work on my
    > dissertation research, I would like to be part of a team. Also, just
    > doing programming exercises to keep my hand in seems a waste of my
    > skills.
    >
    > My main requirement is an active project, with a team that works
    > together, and multiple users outside the team. I am willing learn any
    > required programming languages or libraries, though I am currently most
    > fluent in Java.
    >
    > I have 32 years experience in the computer industry, including work on
    > compilers, operating systems, and multiprocessor computer architecture.
    > I completed my Ph.D. in computer science at UCSD last December, with a
    > 4.0 GPA on the coursework.
    >
    > I would contribute to a suitable project in whatever way would be most
    > useful, including programming and bug fixing, but the more technical
    > challenge the better.
    >
    > Any recommendations?

    Seriously, I think the interesting places for Java programmers to play at
    the moment are mostly on Android; that's where there is a ferment of
    rapidly developing new ideas, the way there was on server side web stuff
    ten years ago.

    Or go for fundamental utility stuff, like Apache Commons, which is used
    by a lot of other things (but there you're joining a well established
    team with established reputations and hierarchies).

    --

    ;; Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundam variat

    Simon Brooke, Jun 21, 2010

  2. * Patricia Shanahan, on 21.06.2010 21:22:
    > Simon Brooke wrote:
    >> On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 08:44:58 -0700, Patricia Shanahan wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm looking for an open source project to join. I want to get back to
    >>> the challenge of non-trivial programming. After years of solo work on my
    >>> dissertation research, I would like to be part of a team. Also, just
    >>> doing programming exercises to keep my hand in seems a waste of my
    >>> skills.
    >>>
    >>> My main requirement is an active project, with a team that works
    >>> together, and multiple users outside the team. I am willing learn any
    >>> required programming languages or libraries, though I am currently most
    >>> fluent in Java.
    >>>
    >>> I have 32 years experience in the computer industry, including work on
    >>> compilers, operating systems, and multiprocessor computer architecture.
    >>> I completed my Ph.D. in computer science at UCSD last December, with a
    >>> 4.0 GPA on the coursework.
    >>>
    >>> I would contribute to a suitable project in whatever way would be most
    >>> useful, including programming and bug fixing, but the more technical
    >>> challenge the better.
    >>>
    >>> Any recommendations?

    >> Seriously, I think the interesting places for Java programmers to play
    >> at the moment are mostly on Android; that's where there is a ferment
    >> of rapidly developing new ideas, the way there was on server side web
    >> stuff ten years ago.

    > That's an interesting area to look at. My research was in the area of
    > ubiquitous computing, so there might be a tie in.
    >

    >> Or go for fundamental utility stuff, like Apache Commons, which is
    >> used by a lot of other things (but there you're joining a well
    >> established team with established reputations and hierarchies).

    > If anything, a well established team is a positive, not a negative. My
    > attitude to technical leadership is "Been there, done that." I would
    > prefer a project where someone else is already dealing with the
    > organizational hassles, and I can just do some fun problem solving.

    With Thunderbird 3.0 the Mozilla folks introduced a lot of undesirable
    functionality, in particular messing up quoting. When you quote source code, and
    the original message has "flowed" text format (this is where a space at the end
    of line indicates a continuing paragraph), then the beast now collapses every
    sequence of spaces to a single space, except indentation, which it removes
    completely. It's merely Very Bad for quoting C++. It's completely unaccceptable
    for quoting Python, where indentation is significant.

    If you could join that team and fix (read: remove) this single, uh, "feature",
    the World would be forever in your debt!

    Not sure what languages they use. JavaScript and C, but possibly also others.

    Cheers,

    - Alf

    Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet, Jun 21, 2010

  3. On 06/21/2010 04:36 PM, Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet wrote:
    > * Patricia Shanahan, on 21.06.2010 21:22:
    > Not sure what languages they use. JavaScript and C, but possibly also
    > others.

    C++, not C. Although libmime would probably compile with a C compiler if
    you s/class/struct/g ...

    tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth

    Joshua Cranmer, Jun 22, 2010
  4. Simon Brooke

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    > Simon Brooke wrote:
    >>
    >> Seriously, I think the interesting places for Java programmers to play
    >> at the moment are mostly on Android; that's where there is a ferment
    >> of rapidly developing new ideas, the way there was on server side web
    >> stuff ten years ago.

    > That's an interesting area to look at. My research was in the area of
    > ubiquitous computing, so there might be a tie in.

    Ah, find a smart dust project. With the current problems in the Gulf of
    Mexico someone will be needed to keep us out of the grey goo.

    Jeff Higgins, Jun 22, 2010
  5. Simon Brooke

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    <http://webs.cs.berkeley.edu/tos/related.html>

    Jeff Higgins, Jun 22, 2010
  6. "Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet" <> writes:

    > * Patricia Shanahan, on 21.06.2010 21:22:
    >> Simon Brooke wrote:

    > With Thunderbird 3.0 the Mozilla folks introduced a lot of undesirable
    > functionality, in particular messing up quoting. When you quote source
    > code, and the original message has "flowed" text format (this is where
    > a space at the end of line indicates a continuing paragraph), then the
    > beast now collapses every sequence of spaces to a single space, except
    > indentation, which it removes completely. It's merely Very Bad for
    > quoting C++. It's completely unaccceptable for quoting Python, where
    > indentation is significant.

    Modify python to remove the signifiance of spaces. One good solution
    would be to use parentheses.

    Pascal J. Bourguignon, Jun 22, 2010
  7. Simon Brooke

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 22-06-2010 04:19, Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
    > "Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet"<> writes:
    >> * Patricia Shanahan, on 21.06.2010 21:22:

    >> With Thunderbird 3.0 the Mozilla folks introduced a lot of undesirable
    >> functionality, in particular messing up quoting. When you quote source
    >> code, and the original message has "flowed" text format (this is where
    >> a space at the end of line indicates a continuing paragraph), then the
    >> beast now collapses every sequence of spaces to a single space, except
    >> indentation, which it removes completely. It's merely Very Bad for
    >> quoting C++. It's completely unaccceptable for quoting Python, where
    >> indentation is significant.

    > Modify python to remove the signifiance of spaces. One good solution
    > would be to use parentheses.

    Then it would not be Python.

    (I am rather sure that the BDFL will not approve the change)

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Jun 23, 2010
  8. Simon Brooke

    kwikius Guest

    Re: Open source project recommendations

    On Jun 22, 9:19 am, (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
    wrote:

    > Modify python to remove the signifiance of spaces.  One good solution
    > would be to use parentheses.

    Or Modify C++ to use significant indentation rather than braces..

    I was going to suggest.. writing a non-ambiguous definition of an
    rvalue reference but that work has been going on intensively ( and
    quite comically ) for 5 years with no significant progress to
    date.. :)

    regards
    Andy Little

    kwikius, Jun 26, 2010