Re: OT Questions

Discussion in 'Python' started by Demian Brecht, Oct 16, 2012.

  1. On 10/15/2012 9:05 PM, Dwight Hutto wrote:
    > Like a lot of people here, I'm trying to build a web development business.
    > I'm starting off by building a profile on a freelance site.
    >
    > I would like some honest opinions(don't be too harsh), about my approach.
    > I'm looking for a team effort to analyze my marketability.
    >
    > This is just my prototype freelance portfolio:
    >
    > https://www.odesk.com/users/~01710ac049863018eb

    I'm not sure whether or not this is a troll, but I'll bite.

    If you're going to ask for people's opinions on your work, I would try
    to keep the negativity in a list to zero. I'm relatively new to this
    list and the tirades that you've gone on have been childish at best.
    Doing that and then turning around and asking for useful feedback (if
    you're genuinely looking for it) is not going to yield much.

    Now that that's over..

    I couldn't get to your oDesk profile, got an empty page. That *could* be
    caused by the dead zones that I'm hitting atm, but I gave up after a few
    tries.

    I then went to your website and here's what I can see from a glance.
    This isn't meant to be harsh or slag you personally, but learn what
    you're doing before you attempt to create a company to help others. If
    you *do* know what you're doing, use your site to showcase that. Nobody
    will hire someone with a business site like your current site:

    * You have a bloated, 50+MB gif serving your page contents. That's just
    bad for obvious reasons.
    * There's no DOCTYPE declaration in your HTML.
    * You have <div>s mixed in pre-<body>
    * You don't have a <head> container
    * You have embedded music. Not only is this a bad design choice from a
    UX perspective, but it's also causing the client to load more.
    * You have *no* SEO
    * You have commented out HTML
    * You don't have any design sense (not a personal attack, I don't have
    any either).

    My suggestions:
    * Take courses (free or paid) on web development. Udacity has a few good
    ones.
    * Apply your learnings to your site. Showcase what you can do and what
    you know and what you can do.
    * Look for a designer partner, someone who can make your work visually
    appealing. The visuals are the first impression (after initial load times).

    Now having said all of that, if this is a troll, I feel rather foolish.
    Demian Brecht, Oct 16, 2012

  2. Demian Brecht

    rusi Guest

    On Oct 16, 7:55 pm, Demian Brecht <> wrote:
    > I'm not sure whether or not this is a troll, but I'll bite.

    Do trolls exist any more than pixies, elves, gnomes, unicorns?
    Trolling posts of course do... IOW:

    > There's a small light somewhere deep down that says maybe this is just
    > someone quite misdirected.

    means giving the benefit of doubt and seems to me to be good policy
    (withing reasonable limits)
    rusi, Oct 16, 2012

  3. Demian Brecht

    Dwight Hutto Guest

    On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 11:53 AM, rusi <> wrote:
    > On Oct 16, 7:55 pm, Demian Brecht <> wrote:
    >> I'm not sure whether or not this is a troll, but I'll bite.

    > Do trolls exist any more than pixies, elves, gnomes, unicorns?
    > Trolling posts of course do... IOW:
    >
    >> There's a small light somewhere deep down that says maybe this is just
    >> someone quite misdirected.

    I've spet a lot of time alone working on things I like, and just
    wanted to have some good critics come in without the bs that can go
    on, and sometimes I sling a little mud at awhat seems to be a personal
    attack.

    > means giving the benefit of doubt and seems to me to be good policy
    > (withing reasonable limits)

    Best Regards,
    David Hutto
    CEO: http://www.hitwebdevelopment.com