Re: [OT] Top posting is a PITA [was : Prothon Prototypes vs PythonClasses]

Discussion in 'Python' started by Michael, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    >This is actually better than top-posting. At least the reading
    >direction is _consistently_ upwards, rather than requiring people to
    >leap forwards and back through the post in a desperate attempt to find
    >the clues they need.

    That'd get really interesting when posting code examples. Why on Earth
    would you leap forwards and back through a top post to find anything?
    You start reading at the top and read until you run into the quoted
    text. You only read the quoted text if you're curious to see which
    specific message this message was in reply to. Top-posting should
    require you to scroll your screen less. I think if I started posting
    bottom-top text as you say you like better than top-posting then I'd
    rightly be killed by the list Gods.
    Michael, Apr 1, 2004

  2. Michael

    Ben Finney Guest

    On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 15:08:38 -0800, Michael wrote:
    > Why on Earth would you leap forwards and back through a top post to
    > find anything?

    Why on Earth would to include the quoted material if it's irrelevant to
    your post?

    > You start reading at the top and read until you run into the quoted
    > text. You only read the quoted text if you're curious to see which
    > specific message this message was in reply to.

    That information is already provided in the message headers
    (specifically, the "References:" header on Usenet posts, the
    "In-Reply-To:" header on emails).

    > Top-posting should require you to scroll your screen less. I think if
    > I started posting bottom-top text as you say you like better than
    > top-posting then I'd rightly be killed by the list Gods.

    If you only include the stuff you actually want to be read, then your
    post is able to be read once, in a single direction.

    Quote only the part of the original message you are replying to.

    Reply below each part you're responding to, in chronological order.

    Anything else is confusing and irritating for anyone who has learned to
    read any human writing system.

    --
    \ "It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh |
    `\ at that man." -- Jack Handey |
    Ben Finney, Apr 1, 2004

  3. Re: [OT] Top posting is a PITA [was : Prothon Prototypes vs Python Classes]

    <> wrote:

    >>This is actually better than top-posting. At least the reading
    >>direction is _consistently_ upwards, rather than requiring people to
    >>leap forwards and back through the post in a desperate attempt to find
    >>the clues they need.
    >>

    >That'd get really interesting when posting code examples. Why on Earth
    >would you leap forwards and back through a top post to find anything?
    >You start reading at the top and read until you run into the quoted
    >text.

    Rubish. You read the top post until you don't know what it's talking
    about, and then you have to read stuff in the quoted text to find the
    context, then you return to the top until you hit the next problem,
    and then you're back to the quoted text again and so on.

    > You only read the quoted text if you're curious to see which
    >specific message this message was in reply to.

    My memory isn't that good that I can remember everything about some
    post written days ago just from identifying which particular one it
    was. Even if I did, I won't necessarily understand the logical
    connections between parts of the reply and parts of the replied-to
    message unless they are ordered such that each piece of the reply
    follows a quote identifying the specific thing it is replying to.

    --
    Steve Horne

    Stephen Horne, Apr 1, 2004