Re: [OT] Top posting is a PITA

Discussion in 'Python' started by Michael, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    >I find it surprising to see programmers arguing for top-posting. They
    >are arguing that exchanging the single author's time and brain cycles
    >for the time and cycles of many readers is a good trade-off. Perhaps
    >they just feel their time is infinitely more valuable than anyone
    >else's. I'm sure every top-poster present can think of vendors who
    >work from the point of view that their time and effort is more
    >valuable than the user's. The result of this philosophy is alienating
    >to users of software AND articles.

    I follow more than 300 mailing lists on a regular basis (I get around 3
    gigs of mail a day just from these lists) and I much prefer people that
    top-post. I can click through messages with interesting topics and skim
    the relevant text without having to scroll anything down. So IMO it's
    more about saving the readers effort than saving the poster effort.

    Of course the only people I really hate are those that quote text
    without quoting it.. so it's all on the same level and you can't tell
    what they wrote from what others have written. THAT drives me nuts.
    Michael, Apr 1, 2004

  2. Michael <> writes:

    > I follow more than 300 mailing lists on a regular basis (I get around
    > 3 gigs of mail a day just from these lists)

    Given the time this must leave you to read, understand, and
    thoughtfully reply to any given article ... I'll let you draw your own
    conclusions about what effect this might have on the quality of your
    contributions.

    > and I much prefer people that top-post.

    .... yup, if you are really not interested in _understanding_ what is
    going on, then top-posting is for you.

    > Of course the only people I really hate are those that quote text
    > without quoting it.. so it's all on the same level and you can't tell
    > what they wrote from what others have written.

    They should be tortured without remorse.
    Jacek Generowicz, Apr 1, 2004

  3. Michael

    Michael Guest

    >Given the time this must leave you to read, understand, and
    >thoughtfully reply to any given article ... I'll let you draw your own
    >conclusions about what effect this might have on the quality of your
    >contributions.

    Actually I'm a major contributor to many lists. Obviously I just watch
    most. Or decide a thread interests me at random points in whichI decide
    to follow a list more closely for a few days. Also obvious, it's not
    always the threads that have actual value that interest me.. since I've
    participated in this one. I'm just amused to see this same argument
    repeated pointlessly year after year.

    >... yup, if you are really not interested in _understanding_ what is
    >going on, then top-posting is for you.

    I understand by having read the thread and remembered it. If I need a
    context hint I can peek below but that is usually only needed with
    complex interwoven threads. Which isn't the majority.. which is why I
    think top-posting is good for a majority of messages but inline
    bottom-posting is good other times. Use what is best for the given message.
    Michael, Apr 1, 2004