Re: [OT] Top posting is a PITA

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jacek Generowicz, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. "John Roth" <> writes:

    > AFAIC, it doesn't matter whether you put your response at the
    > top or bottom; what matters to me is whether I can find what
    > you're talking about quickly. That means ruthless pruning of the
    > post so that old stuff gets deleted.

    Look, y'all, email and usenet aren't all that dissimilar, in this
    respect, from face-to-face conversation which has been
    interrupted. Imagine you pick up a conversation whith someone, which
    was interrupted a few minutes, hours, or days before.

    Do you go up to your interlocutor, say whatever you wanted to say
    next, and then recite (both sides of) the whole conversation you had
    before? No.

    Do you _first_ repeat (both sides of) the whole conversation you had
    before, and at the very end (ten minutes later, or so) say whatever it
    is that you wanted to say? No. Does your interlocutor then repeat
    everything both of you have said so far once again, before adding his
    new contribution? No.

    Or, do you, re-establish context by saying something like "Concerning
    your point about fubaring the frobnicators", and then make your point
    ("I would never fubar a frobnicator, without barzotting it first") ?

    Then, maybe you wish to make a second point ... in which case you
    would establish the relevant context again ("As for what you said
    about pinging a pong"), and make your next point, relevant to the
    context you just established ("When pinging a pong, you must take care
    to pang it first").

    I find that people who do not make the effort to quote the relevant
    part(s) of messages to which they are replying, and do not make the
    effort to put their replies close to (ie just after) the relevant
    citations they have left in, more often than not, also fail to make
    the effort to organize their own thoughts in their entire
    consideration of the discussion.

    Exchanges with top-posters are usually of a low quality: top-posting
    makes it difficult to follow the thread ... but top-posters tend to
    write codswallop more often that those who trim and organize their
    replies carefully.

    This is partly because the process of trimming the original post,
    forces you to identfy the relevant points being made, which helps you
    notice more clearly what is actually being said. Partly, it is because
    if you post on usenet for more than a day and fail to notice that
    top-posting sucks, then ... well, that says something about your
    perspicacity.
    Jacek Generowicz, Apr 1, 2004

  2. Jacek Generowicz

    Roy Smith Guest

    What makes you think people who top post don't also put a lot of effort
    into carefully organizing their replies and trimming the original post
    down to the most relevant points?

    Roy Smith, Apr 1, 2004

  3. Jacek Generowicz

    Robin Munn Guest

    Roy Smith <> wrote:
    > Jacek Generowicz <> wrote:
    >> top-posters tend to write codswallop more often that those who trim
    >> and organize their replies carefully.
    >>
    >> This is partly because the process of trimming the original post,
    >> forces you to identfy the relevant points being made

    > What makes you think people who top post don't also put a lot of effort
    > into carefully organizing their replies and trimming the original post
    > down to the most relevant points?

    Bitter, hard-earned experience. Some people do so, as you demonstrated,
    but IMB,H-EE the vast majority do not.

    Another problem that occurs when some people top-post and some do not is
    that the conversation thread quickly becomes unreadable unless someone
    takes the time to rearrange it into a consistent form (as I did in
    composing this reply).

    --
    Robin Munn
    Robin Munn, Apr 1, 2004
  4. Robin Munn wrote:

    > Another problem that occurs when some people top-post and some do not
    > is that the conversation thread quickly becomes unreadable unless
    > someone takes the time to rearrange it into a consistent form (as I
    > did in composing this reply).

    And more often than not, that's perceived as really not worth the
    effort. So, a lot of people that might have provided useful answers,
    doesn't care to reply to top-postings because it involves too much work
    to rearrange the text to respond in a sensible way.

    Top-posting *is* shitting in your pants.

    regards,
    --
    Leif Biberg Kristensen
    http://solumslekt.org/
    Leif B. Kristensen, Apr 1, 2004
  5. Roy Smith <> writes:

    > What makes you think people who top post don't also put a lot of effort
    > into carefully organizing their replies and trimming the original post
    > down to the most relevant points?

    Over a decade of observation of usenet and mailing lists.
    Jacek Generowicz, Apr 2, 2004