Re: [OT] USA Economy 2-8-2011

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Kenny McCormack, Jul 28, 2011.

  1. In article <4e31aac3$0$15659$>,
    io_x <> wrote:
    >Are you scare for what could happen 2-8?
    >what do they say repubblicans?
    >where is the problem republicans-Obama?

    February 8th has come & gone.

    --
    Just for a change of pace, this sig is *not* an obscure reference to
    comp.lang.c...

    Kenny McCormack, Jul 28, 2011

  2. Kenny McCormack

    John Gordon Guest

    In <j0sibo$71d$> (Kenny McCormack) writes:

    > In article <4e31aac3$0$15659$>,
    > io_x <> wrote:
    > >Are you scare for what could happen 2-8?
    > >what do they say repubblicans?
    > >where is the problem republicans-Obama?

    > February 8th has come & gone.

    I think he is using the European date standard, which is day-month-year
    so that would be August second.

    B is for Basil, assaulted by bears

    John Gordon, Jul 28, 2011

  3. In article <j0smbn$aqp$>,
    John Gordon <> wrote:
    >In <j0sibo$71d$> (Kenny
    >McCormack) writes:
    >
    >> In article <4e31aac3$0$15659$>,
    >> io_x <> wrote:
    >> >Are you scare for what could happen 2-8?
    >> >what do they say repubblicans?
    >> >where is the problem republicans-Obama?

    >> February 8th has come & gone.

    >I think he is using the European date standard, which is day-month-year
    >so that would be August second.

    Gee, Turtle, Ya think???

    Anyway, it is the wrong standard...

    Kenny McCormack, Jul 28, 2011
  4. Kenny McCormack

    Zbiggy Guest

    In comp.lang.c, John Gordon wrote:

    > I think he is using the European date standard, which is day-month-year
    > so that would be August second.

    For "day month year" there should be dot used as a separator: 02.08.2011
    - for "month day year" - a slash: 08/02/2011
    - for "year month day" - a hyphen: 2011-08-02

    No more ambiguity! ;)
    --
    Z.

    Zbiggy, Jul 29, 2011
  5. Re: USA Economy 2-8-2011

    On Jul 29, 11:43 am, Zbiggy <>
    wrote:
    > In comp.lang.c, John Gordon wrote:
    >
    > > I think he is using the European date standard, which is day-month-year
    > > so that would be August second.

    > For "day month year" there should be dot used as a separator: 02.08.2011
    > - for "month day year" - a slash:  08/02/2011
    > - for "year month day" - a hyphen: 2011-08-02
    >
    > No more ambiguity! ;)

    ISO 8601

    Nick Keighley, Jul 30, 2011
  6. Re: USA Economy 2-8-2011

    On Jul 29, 3:43 am, Zbiggy <>
    wrote:
    > In comp.lang.c, John Gordon wrote:
    >
    > > I think he is using the European date standard, which is day-month-year
    > > so that would be August second.

    > For "day month year" there should be dot used as a separator: 02.08.2011
    > - for "month day year" - a slash:  08/02/2011
    > - for "year month day" - a hyphen: 2011-08-02
    >
    > No more ambiguity! ;)

    How about we adopt the "Worldwide Computing Standard" which is Year-
    Month-Day. In ost of East Asia Y.M.D is standard.

    Michael Angelo Ravera, Jul 30, 2011
  7. Re: USA Economy 2-8-2011

    Michael Angelo Ravera <> writes:

    > On Jul 29, 3:43 am, Zbiggy <>
    > wrote:
    >> In comp.lang.c, John Gordon wrote:
    >>
    >> > I think he is using the European date standard, which is day-month-year
    >> > so that would be August second.

    >> For "day month year" there should be dot used as a separator: 02.08.2011
    >> - for "month day year" - a slash:  08/02/2011
    >> - for "year month day" - a hyphen: 2011-08-02
    >>
    >> No more ambiguity! ;)

    > How about we adopt the "Worldwide Computing Standard" which is Year-
    > Month-Day. In ost of East Asia Y.M.D is standard.

    How about giving at least three letters of the name of the month?
    2 Aug. 2011. Then (nearly?) everybody will be able to figure out what
    you mean.

    -- Patrick

    Patrick Scheible, Aug 1, 2011
  8. [OT] Date formats (was: USA Economy 2-8-2011)

    Patrick Scheible <> writes:

    > Michael Angelo Ravera <> writes:
    >
    >> On Jul 29, 3:43 am, Zbiggy <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> For "day month year" there should be dot used as a separator: 02.08.2011
    >>> - for "month day year" - a slash:  08/02/2011
    >>> - for "year month day" - a hyphen: 2011-08-02
    >>>
    >>> No more ambiguity! ;)

    >> How about we adopt the "Worldwide Computing Standard" which is Year-
    >> Month-Day. In ost of East Asia Y.M.D is standard.

    > How about giving at least three letters of the name of the month?

    That helps a little by avoiding the month/day confusion but asking
    everyone to learn the English month abbreviations won't ever get wide
    international support (nor should it) and supporting lots of languages
    makes processing dates hard. YYYY-MM-DD is the way to go if you want to
    avoid confusion while permitting simple automatic processing.

    <snip>
    --
    Ben.

    Ben Bacarisse, Aug 1, 2011
  9. Kenny McCormack

    Noob Guest

    Noob, Aug 1, 2011
  10. Re: [OT] Date formats

    Noob <root@127.0.0.1> writes:

    > Ben Bacarisse wrote:
    >
    >> YYYY-MM-DD is the way to go if you want to avoid confusion while
    >> permitting simple automatic processing.

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_10,000_problem ;-)

    OK, smilie noted, but the Y10K problem comes from mistakes in the way
    dates are stored, not in how they are represented as numbers.
    YYYY-MM-DD was not meant to suggest you somehow restrict the year to
    four characters; it's a shorthand for at least four digits.

    --
    Ben.

    Ben Bacarisse, Aug 1, 2011