Re: [OT, welcome msg, link] thread programming with c++

Discussion in 'C++' started by Mike Wahler, Jul 5, 2003.

  1. Mike Wahler

    Mike Wahler Guest

    Yu Cao <> wrote in message
    > "Mike Wahler" <> writes:
    >
    > >Thomas Porschberg <> wrote in message

    > >> What I'm looking for is a good book which is a reliable guide
    > >> in the C++/Thread field.

    > >I doubt there is such a thing, since threading is entirely
    > >dependent upon the host platform. What you need is information
    > >on 'threading and C++ for <insert platform here>.

    > Well, here's a book I read:
    >
    > Object-Oriented Multithreading Using C++
    > by Cameron Hughes (Author), Tracey Hughes (Author)
    >
    > I didn't care too much for it, but it got decent reviews on amazon.com:

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0471180122/103-4483277-5446230
    ?vi=glance

    I place no credibility upon the reviews posted by
    Amazon, for reasons which should be obvious.

    > and came up "highly recommended" on accu.org:

    http://www.accu.org/cgi-bin/accu/rvout.cgi?from=0hr_advanced_c__&file=o00167
    8a

    I don't doubt this is a fine book, but note the 'categories'
    indicated therein: "MS Windows", and "Advanced C++".

    Any example code, etc. must needs use platform-specifics.
    It seems they chose to use Windows.

    My point was that the 'topic' "threading with C++"
    is meaningless without a specific context (i.e. platform),
    and that each platform can and does implement it in its
    own way.

    -Mike

    Mike Wahler, Jul 5, 2003

  2. Mike Wahler

    Yu Cao Guest

    "Mike Wahler" <> writes:

    >Yu Cao <> wrote in message
    >> "Mike Wahler" <> writes:
    >>
    >> >Thomas Porschberg <> wrote in message

    >> >I doubt there is such a thing, since threading is entirely
    >> >dependent upon the host platform. What you need is information
    >> >on 'threading and C++ for <insert platform here>.

    >> Well, here's a book I read:
    >>
    >> Object-Oriented Multithreading Using C++
    >> by Cameron Hughes (Author), Tracey Hughes (Author)
    >>
    >> I didn't care too much for it, but it got decent reviews on amazon.com:
    >>

    >http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0471180122/103-4483277-5446230
    >?vi=glance

    >I place no credibility upon the reviews posted by
    >Amazon, for reasons which should be obvious.

    >> and came up "highly recommended" on accu.org:
    >>

    >http://www.accu.org/cgi-bin/accu/rvout.cgi?from=0hr_advanced_c__&file=o00167
    >8a

    >I don't doubt this is a fine book, but note the 'categories'
    >indicated therein: "MS Windows", and "Advanced C++".

    >Any example code, etc. must needs use platform-specifics.
    >It seems they chose to use Windows.

    >My point was that the 'topic' "threading with C++"
    >is meaningless without a specific context (i.e. platform),
    >and that each platform can and does implement it in its
    >own way.

    I don't totally discount amazon.com reviews. Although the number of
    stars seem to have become inflated compared to a few years ago, without
    too much effort you can still tell which review entries came from real
    readers.

    Th Hughes books purports to be a "platform independent" treatment,
    and if I remember correctly there are wrapper classes for the OS-level
    entities. Yes, there are definitely platform-dependent subtleties, but
    I think you would be going too far by saying there are no conceptual
    commonalities. I know it seems to be the common wisdom of the regulars
    here to stress the platform dependency, but in my experience having
    programmed in C++/pthreads it was then much easier to do C++/VxWorks
    or even Java threads. And the feel of programming threads with objects
    is quite different from programming threads in a procedural language
    or framework, don't you think?

    My major complaint about the book is there's way too much padding.
    It really is very repetitive. If it were half as thick and costs half
    as much, it'd be a great book.

    --Yu

    Yu Cao, Jul 6, 2003