Re: Output without stdio.h or iostream

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Joona I Palaste, Jul 3, 2003.

  1. Gabriel Flemming <> scribbled the following:
    > i heard it wouldn't be possible to build a function that sends output
    > (maybe a text string) to the console without using the C/C++
    > standard-functions from the standard library (puts,printf or
    > whatever)...

    > is this correct?

    > or is there any possibility of writing such a function WITHOUT the
    > usage of any function from the standard library?

    > to me, it doesn't make sense, that it could be impossible to do this,
    > because every of the standard functions has to be implemented in the
    > compiler (AND THEREFORE THERE HAS TO EXIST THE NEEDED CODE, HASN'T
    > IT???).

    You are right that there must be some underlying native implementation
    for stream I/O, that the compiler writer uses when implementing the
    stdio functions. The bad news is that this native implementation can
    vary from here to high heaven between implementations, so once you
    start using it in your own programs, you can kiss portability goodbye.

    "This is a personnel commuter."
    - Train driver in Scientific American

    Joona I Palaste, Jul 3, 2003