Re: Output without stdio.h or iostream

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Dan Pop, Jul 4, 2003.

  1. Dan Pop

    Dan Pop Guest

    In <> (Gabriel Flemming) writes:

    >i heard it wouldn't be possible to build a function that sends output
    >(maybe a text string) to the console without using the C/C++
    >standard-functions from the standard library (puts,printf or
    >whatever)...
    >
    >is this correct?

    Yes, as far as portable programming is concerned.

    >or is there any possibility of writing such a function WITHOUT the
    >usage of any function from the standard library?

    If you *completely* ignore the standard library, how do you expect to
    generate any output? OTOH, a non-portable solution that doesn't use
    anything from <stdio.h> or its C++ counterpart is trivial to write:

    #include <stdlib.h>
    system("echo hello, world");

    Works on both Unix and DOS, it will probably fail on VMS.

    >to me, it doesn't make sense, that it could be impossible to do this,
    >because every of the standard functions has to be implemented in the
    >compiler (AND THEREFORE THERE HAS TO EXIST THE NEEDED CODE, HASN'T
    >IT???).

    That code normally uses non-standard library functions that provide the
    interface with the operating system primitives. If you dig deep enough,
    at some point you'll discover a bit of assembly (e.g. the implementation
    of syscall() on most Unix systems).

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop