Re: overlapping boxes

Discussion in 'HTML' started by freemont, May 11, 2010.

  1. freemont

    freemont Guest

    On Tue, 11 May 2010 18:51:39 +0000, Lewis writ:

    > I made a page as a demo showing a left and right menu, a heading, and a
    > min article window. The left and right menus are set to 15% are are
    > floated to the left and right.
    >
    > The middle div is set to be 70% wide.
    >
    > However, the floated left and right divs are intruding into the center
    > div because of the padding in the #article definition. I actually want a
    > border around the article without having that border intrude into the
    > menus. Is there a way to specify that the padding should be INSIDE the
    > border while still making the page completely fluid?
    >
    > I suppose I can just pad the right and left side of the menus, but if
    > their font sizes are different, that still won't line up correctly.
    >
    > <http://home.kreme.com/logo-demo.html>

    I don't follow. Do you like the menu borders intruding into the article
    or not? If not just adjust widths.

    But I suspect that's not the problem you see. Req more input pls. :)
    --
    â‚ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    freemont, May 11, 2010

  2. freemont

    freemont Guest

    On Tue, 11 May 2010 19:50:03 +0000, Lewis writ:

    > In message <13b65$4be9af96$6216f0ea$>
    > freemont <> wrote:
    >> On Tue, 11 May 2010 18:51:39 +0000, Lewis writ:

    >>> I made a page as a demo showing a left and right menu, a heading, and
    >>> a min article window. The left and right menus are set to 15% are are
    >>> floated to the left and right.
    >>>
    >>> The middle div is set to be 70% wide.
    >>>
    >>> However, the floated left and right divs are intruding into the center
    >>> div because of the padding in the #article definition. I actually want
    >>> a border around the article without having that border intrude into
    >>> the menus. Is there a way to specify that the padding should be INSIDE
    >>> the border while still making the page completely fluid?
    >>>
    >>> I suppose I can just pad the right and left side of the menus, but if
    >>> their font sizes are different, that still won't line up correctly.
    >>>
    >>> <http://home.kreme.com/logo-demo.html>

    >> I don't follow. Do you like the menu borders intruding into the article
    >> or not? If not just adjust widths.

    > I don't want the menu borders to intrude at all. The widths are
    > currently set so that the total is 100% (15%, 70%, 15%). I WANT the menu
    > boxes ot be flush to the article box, adjusting the width of the menu's
    > divs doesn't do this.
    >
    >> But I suspect that's not the problem you see. Req more input pls. :)

    > For example, I changed the widths of the side menus to 12% from 15% Make
    > the window narrow and really wide to see how they move in and then move
    > away from the article div.

    OIC. Try floating everything to the left, and repositioning the rightmost
    menu under the article in your html. Then adjust margins and widths.
    --
    â‚ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    freemont, May 11, 2010

  3. Lewis wrote:

    >> Lewis writ:
    >>> <http://home.kreme.com/logo-demo.html>

    Currently unreachable.

    > I don't want the menu borders to intrude at all. The widths are
    > currently set so that the total is 100% (15%, 70%, 15%). I WANT the
    > menu boxes ot be flush to the article box, adjusting the width of the
    > menu's divs doesn't do this.

    Since your page won't come up, I'll volunteer this: make your total
    width some bit less than 100% -- say 13-14% for the sides, and 68-69%
    for the middle.

    You're forgetting the outside margins of the three columns, I'll wager.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 11, 2010
  4. freemont

    freemont Guest

    On Tue, 11 May 2010 21:33:07 +0000, Lewis writ:

    <http://freemontsoffice.com/test/lewis/3col.htm>
    --
    â‚ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    freemont, May 11, 2010
  5. freemont

    freemont Guest

    On Tue, 11 May 2010 22:00:59 +0000, Lewis writ:

    > In message <baa3c$4be9d263$6216f0ea$>
    > freemont <> wrote:
    >> On Tue, 11 May 2010 21:33:07 +0000, Lewis writ:

    >>> I reduced the width a bit (12% 70% 12%) but they still overlap when
    >>> the window is narrow and then they separate when the window is very
    >>> wide.

    >> <http://freemontsoffice.com/test/lewis/3col.htm>

    > The 'right' menu is at the bottom of the page after the article (in
    > Safari, Chrome, and Firefox)
    >
    > If I change the float for menu2 to right, is still appears under the
    > article.

    Oh fer crissake... I left in an edit when I uploaded. Refresh.
    --
    â‚ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    freemont, May 11, 2010
  6. freemont

    freemont Guest

    On Tue, 11 May 2010 22:15:05 +0000, Lewis writ:

    > In message <15611$4be9d46b$6216f0ea$>
    > freemont <> wrote:
    >> On Tue, 11 May 2010 22:00:59 +0000, Lewis writ:

    >>> The 'right' menu is at the bottom of the page after the article (in
    >>> Safari, Chrome, and Firefox)
    >>>
    >>> If I change the float for menu2 to right, is still appears under the
    >>> article.

    >> Oh fer crissake... I left in an edit when I uploaded. Refresh.

    > OK, that works, but if I wanted to swap the menu's right to left I'd
    > have to edit the HTML to move menu2 and menu3 instead of simply changing
    > the style sheet.
    >
    > Or if I wanted a style sheet that put menu3 at the bottom...
    >
    > Hmm... will have to think on this.

    My immediate thought: how often are you going to swap major page areas
    like that?

    That said, just replace the float:lefts with float:rights and they
    swap. :)
    --
    â‚ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    freemont, May 11, 2010
  7. freemont

    Jenn Guest

    "freemont" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 11 May 2010 22:00:59 +0000, Lewis writ:
    >
    >> In message <baa3c$4be9d263$6216f0ea$>
    >> freemont <> wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 11 May 2010 21:33:07 +0000, Lewis writ:

    >>> <http://freemontsoffice.com/test/lewis/3col.htm>

    >> The 'right' menu is at the bottom of the page after the article (in
    >> Safari, Chrome, and Firefox)
    >>
    >> If I change the float for menu2 to right, is still appears under the
    >> article.

    > Oh fer crissake... I left in an edit when I uploaded. Refresh.

    When you resize your page, the nav on the right drops to the bottom of the
    page
    --
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Jenn, May 11, 2010
  8. freemont

    Jenn Guest

    --
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    "Lewis" <> wrote in message
    > In message <baa3c$4be9d263$6216f0ea$>
    > freemont <> wrote:
    >> On Tue, 11 May 2010 21:33:07 +0000, Lewis writ:

    >>> I reduced the width a bit (12% 70% 12%) but they still overlap when the
    >>> window is narrow and then they separate when the window is very wide.

    >> <http://freemontsoffice.com/test/lewis/3col.htm>

    > The 'right' menu is at the bottom of the page after the article (in
    > Safari, Chrome, and Firefox)
    >
    > If I change the float for menu2 to right, is still appears under the
    > article.

    Remove the margin and padding on this and it seems to work now w/o moving
    the right nav to the bottom when you resize it smaller.
    #article
    {
    border: green solid 1px;
    width: 65%;
    float:left;
    *margin: 0 auto 0 auto;
    * padding: 0 2% 0 2%;
    border-collapse: collapse;
    }
    Jenn, May 12, 2010
  9. freemont

    Jenn Guest

    "Jenn" <> wrote in message

    > --
    > Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    > "Lewis" <> wrote in message
    >> In message <baa3c$4be9d263$6216f0ea$>
    >> freemont <> wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 11 May 2010 21:33:07 +0000, Lewis writ:

    >>> <http://freemontsoffice.com/test/lewis/3col.htm>

    >> The 'right' menu is at the bottom of the page after the article (in
    >> Safari, Chrome, and Firefox)
    >>
    >> If I change the float for menu2 to right, is still appears under the
    >> article.
    >>

    > Remove the margin and padding on this and it seems to work now w/o moving
    > the right nav to the bottom when you resize it smaller.
    > #article
    > {
    > border: green solid 1px;
    > width: 65%;
    > float:left;
    > *margin: 0 auto 0 auto;
    > * padding: 0 2% 0 2%;
    > border-collapse: collapse;
    > }

    sorry .. I forgot to turn on my OE quotefix

    --
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Jenn, May 12, 2010
  10. freemont

    freemont Guest

    On Tue, 11 May 2010 17:54:57 -0500, Jenn writ:

    > "freemont" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 11 May 2010 22:00:59 +0000, Lewis writ:

    >>> The 'right' menu is at the bottom of the page after the article (in
    >>> Safari, Chrome, and Firefox)
    >>>
    >>> If I change the float for menu2 to right, is still appears under the
    >>> article.

    >> Oh fer crissake... I left in an edit when I uploaded. Refresh.

    > When you resize your page, the nav on the right drops to the bottom of
    > the page

    <http://i41.tinypic.com/mm8thz.png>
    <http://i44.tinypic.com/w8nj80.png>

    It's not my page. If the page's author discovers such a problem and asks
    for help, I might look at his findings. The screenshots above show what I
    see. If a visitor has their viewport set narrower than the first picture,
    well, they're probably used to sites looking weird.

    You supplied this as your favorite site you've made:

    <http://cdkdistribution.com/>
    <http://i39.tinypic.com/974t1j.png>

    Instead of looking for fault with other peoples' work, you should be
    working to fix that site so that it renders correctly in a web browser.
    For starters, I would fix it so that the only scrollbar visible on the
    user's screen is the one on the edge of the browser.
    --
    â‚ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    freemont, May 12, 2010
  11. freemont

    Jenn Guest

    freemont wrote:
    > On Tue, 11 May 2010 17:54:57 -0500, Jenn writ:
    >
    >> When you resize your page, the nav on the right drops to the bottom
    >> of the page

    > <http://i41.tinypic.com/mm8thz.png>
    > <http://i44.tinypic.com/w8nj80.png>
    >
    > It's not my page. If the page's author discovers such a problem and
    > asks for help, I might look at his findings. The screenshots above
    > show what I see. If a visitor has their viewport set narrower than
    > the first picture, well, they're probably used to sites looking weird.
    >
    > You supplied this as your favorite site you've made:
    >
    > <http://cdkdistribution.com/>
    > <http://i39.tinypic.com/974t1j.png>
    >
    > Instead of looking for fault with other peoples' work,

    I wasn't looking for fault.. I was trying to participate in figuring out the
    CSS since it seems to be a group thing to join in and attempt to help solve
    issues. I work with CSS, but I'm into building a site layout solely based
    on CSS. I thought it might be fun to give it a try. I worked out one idea..
    then you worked out another idea. My idea was an "almost there" ... your
    idea was an "almost there" too. I did some research and found a site that
    suggested taking out the margin and padding for a 3 column CSS layout, so I
    tried that with your code and it is now working like it should.

    That's what I do ... I look at problems and figure out how to fix them. My
    code edit only got me so far.. your code edit went a little further but
    wasn't quite there, either... so I found how to fix your code to work like
    it should when it's resized.
    --
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Jenn, May 12, 2010
  12. freemont

    freemont Guest

    On Tue, 11 May 2010 18:37:54 -0500, Jenn writ:

    > I found how to fix your code to work like it should when it's resized.

    Jesus... look at the page again with your edits. You removed any padding
    from the main area of the page.

    It looks like shit without any padding in there. Can't you see that? See
    how the text runs up against the border?
    --
    â‚ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    freemont, May 12, 2010
  13. Jenn wrote:

    > "Jenn" wrote:
    >> Remove the margin and padding on this and it seems to work now w/o moving
    >> the right nav to the bottom when you resize it smaller.
    >> #article
    >> {
    >> border: green solid 1px;
    >> width: 65%;
    >> float:left;
    >> *margin: 0 auto 0 auto;
    >> * padding: 0 2% 0 2%;
    >> border-collapse: collapse;
    >> }
    >>

    > sorry .. I forgot to turn on my OE quotefix

    And created two CSS errors. (Hint: research comment markers)

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 12, 2010
  14. freemont

    Jenn Guest

    freemont wrote:
    > On Tue, 11 May 2010 18:37:54 -0500, Jenn writ:
    >
    >> I found how to fix your code to work like it should when it's
    >> resized.

    > Jesus... look at the page again with your edits. You removed any
    > padding from the main area of the page.
    >
    > It looks like shit without any padding in there. Can't you see that?
    > See how the text runs up against the border?

    I removed that because it was suggested to do so would fix the right nav
    jumping to the bottom of the page when it's resized.

    I don't know why that worked.. but it worked. <shrugs>

    To fix the formatting of the content text padding should be simple enough
    without adding it to that particular style.

    --
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Jenn, May 12, 2010
  15. freemont

    freemont Guest

    On Tue, 11 May 2010 18:52:39 -0500, Jenn writ:

    > freemont wrote:
    >> On Tue, 11 May 2010 18:37:54 -0500, Jenn writ:
    >>
    >>> I found how to fix your code to work like it should when it's resized.

    >> Jesus... look at the page again with your edits. You removed any
    >> padding from the main area of the page.
    >>
    >> It looks like shit without any padding in there. Can't you see that?
    >> See how the text runs up against the border?

    > I removed that because it was suggested to do so would fix the right nav
    > jumping to the bottom of the page when it's resized.
    >
    > I don't know why that worked.. but it worked. <shrugs>

    No, it didn't. It fouled up a major area of the page. That is not
    "working".

    > To fix the formatting of the content text padding should be simple
    > enough without adding it to that particular style.

    Where would you add it then? Maybe to a footer? Maybe that content area
    needs a scrollbar or two. Never thought of that.
    --
    â‚ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    freemont, May 12, 2010
  16. freemont

    Jenn Guest

    freemont wrote:
    > On Tue, 11 May 2010 18:52:39 -0500, Jenn writ:
    >
    >> freemont wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 11 May 2010 18:37:54 -0500, Jenn writ:

    >>> Jesus... look at the page again with your edits. You removed any
    >>> padding from the main area of the page.
    >>>
    >>> It looks like shit without any padding in there. Can't you see that?
    >>> See how the text runs up against the border?

    >> I removed that because it was suggested to do so would fix the right
    >> nav jumping to the bottom of the page when it's resized.
    >>
    >> I don't know why that worked.. but it worked. <shrugs>

    > No, it didn't. It fouled up a major area of the page. That is not
    > "working".
    >
    >> To fix the formatting of the content text padding should be simple
    >> enough without adding it to that particular style.

    > Where would you add it then? Maybe to a footer? Maybe that content
    > area needs a scrollbar or two. Never thought of that.

    If you want to add padding this will work:

    #article
    {
    border: green solid 1px;
    width: 60%;
    float:left;
    border-collapse: collapse;
    }

    .article
    {
    margin: 0 auto 0 auto;
    padding: 0 8px 0 8px;

    }

    <h2>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet</h2>
    elit. Nulla tincidunt porta nibh, sit amet placerat nisi cursus quis. In hac
    .....</p>
    dapibus. Sed id eros sapien. Praesent vulputate neque in elit adipiscing et
    egestas velit ullamcorper. Nulla facilisi. Mauris adipiscing risus non lacus
    ultricies interdum. Sed purus ....</p>

    --
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Jenn, May 12, 2010
  17. freemont

    freemont Guest

    On Tue, 11 May 2010 19:28:11 -0500, Jenn writ:

    > If you want to add padding this will work:
    >

    > #article
    > {
    > border: green solid 1px;
    > width: 60%;
    > float:left;
    > border-collapse: collapse;
    > }
    >
    > .article
    > {
    > margin: 0 auto 0 auto;
    > padding: 0 8px 0 8px;
    >
    > }

    Ahem.

    I will try to be nice(er).

    Please explain for all of us the difference between what you have above,
    and the css that exists on the page now. Other than the obvious
    difference in padding values and units.

    Why, WHY? create a new class just to put a couple of values into? What
    does it accomplish?

    For those not following along, the advantage of using the markup above,
    as opposed to:

    #article
    {
    border: green solid 1px;
    width: 65%;
    float: left;
    margin: 0 auto 0 auto;
    padding: 0 2% 0 2%;
    border-collapse: collapse;
    }

    /This/ I want to hear. Enlighten us.
    --
    â‚ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    freemont, May 12, 2010
  18. freemont

    rf Guest

    "freemont" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 11 May 2010 19:28:11 -0500, Jenn writ:
    >>
    >> If you want to add padding this will work:
    >>

    >> #article
    >> {
    >> border: green solid 1px;
    >> width: 60%;
    >> float:left;
    >> border-collapse: collapse;
    >> }
    >>
    >> .article
    >> {
    >> margin: 0 auto 0 auto;
    >> padding: 0 8px 0 8px;
    >>
    >> }

    > Ahem.
    >
    > I will try to be nice(er).
    >
    > Please explain for all of us the difference between what you have above,
    > and the css that exists on the page now. Other than the obvious
    > difference in padding values and units.
    >
    > Why, WHY? create a new class just to put a couple of values into? What
    > does it accomplish?
    >
    > For those not following along, the advantage of using the markup above,
    > as opposed to:
    >
    > #article
    > {
    > border: green solid 1px;
    > width: 65%;
    > float: left;
    > margin: 0 auto 0 auto;
    > padding: 0 2% 0 2%;
    > border-collapse: collapse;
    > }
    >
    > /This/ I want to hear. Enlighten us.

    I'd say there was a fair amount of guesswork involved.
    rf, May 12, 2010
  19. freemont

    Jenn Guest

    freemont wrote:
    > On Tue, 11 May 2010 19:28:11 -0500, Jenn writ:
    >>
    >> If you want to add padding this will work:
    >>

    >> #article
    >> {
    >> border: green solid 1px;
    >> width: 60%;
    >> float:left;
    >> border-collapse: collapse;
    >> }
    >>
    >> .article
    >> {
    >> margin: 0 auto 0 auto;
    >> padding: 0 8px 0 8px;
    >>
    >> }

    > Ahem.
    >
    > I will try to be nice(er).
    >
    > Please explain for all of us the difference between what you have
    > above, and the css that exists on the page now. Other than the obvious
    > difference in padding values and units.
    >
    > Why, WHY? create a new class just to put a couple of values into? What
    > does it accomplish?

    > For those not following along, the advantage of using the markup
    > above, as opposed to:
    >
    > #article
    > {
    > border: green solid 1px;
    > width: 65%;
    > float: left;
    > margin: 0 auto 0 auto;
    > padding: 0 2% 0 2%;
    > border-collapse: collapse;
    > }
    >
    > /This/ I want to hear. Enlighten us.

    I did this to see if it would work:

    In order to test it, I created a class that would apply only to the margin
    and padding so I could test them separately.

    The #article ID deals with the div container .. like the border of a table,
    so I kept that separate from the class that deals with the padding and
    margins.

    I then resized the window width until it wouldn't get any smaller and then
    I gave the class a 4px left and right padding and then adjusted the % in the
    width of the #article until the right nav went into it's proper place. I
    got that to work.. then raised the pixels to 8px padding both left and
    right, and adjusted the #article width to 60%. If you want more padding,
    you will need to adjust the width. Keeping them separate gives you the
    option of using the class of that padding elsewhere.

    It works ok in IE, but if you resize the window in Firefox, which allows it
    to get even smaller than IE does the boxes on either sides move. I'm
    thinking in order to take care of that issue, the body style may need a
    static pixel width, but not sure since I haven't looked at it too closely
    yet.

    --
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Jenn, May 12, 2010
  20. freemont

    Jenn Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Jenn wrote:
    >
    >> "Jenn" wrote:
    >>> Remove the margin and padding on this and it seems to work now w/o
    >>> moving the right nav to the bottom when you resize it smaller.
    >>> #article
    >>> {
    >>> border: green solid 1px;
    >>> width: 65%;
    >>> float:left;
    >>> *margin: 0 auto 0 auto;
    >>> * padding: 0 2% 0 2%;
    >>> border-collapse: collapse;
    >>> }
    >>>

    >> sorry .. I forgot to turn on my OE quotefix

    > And created two CSS errors. (Hint: research comment markers)

    I put * in front of the 2 items that were to be removed to mark them.. it
    wasn't meant to be comment markers.

    --
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Jenn, May 12, 2010