Re: Override malloc,calloc,realloc and free?

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Jun Woong, Jun 26, 2003.

  1. Jun Woong

    Jun Woong Guest

    "Douglas A. Gwyn" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Jun Woong wrote:
    > > "Dan Pop" <> wrote...
    > > > Where is that "unspecified behavior", according the definition of
    > > > "behaviour" you have posted above?

    > > The manner and timing of static initialization.

    > That's not "behavior" in the sense that matters for conformance.
    > It's an unspecified *aspect* of the implementation. It would be
    > very difficult to make a program have its behavior depend on the
    > details of this aspect.

    I accept it.

    > > But the definition of "behavior" also includes "external appearance,"
    > > which is the major reason I suspect the above two contain unspecified
    > > behavior.

    > ?

    What I'd like to know is the purpose of "external appearance" in the
    definition. What's the "external appearance" of a program exactly?

    > So far as the C standard is concerned, the behavior of a program
    > manifests itself in the output of the program, for example in
    > modifications it makes to external files.

    But, is there behavior which doesn't affect the program's output but
    which still affects the program's conformance?

    --
    Jun, Woong ()
    Dept. of Physics, Univ. of Seoul

    Jun Woong, Jun 26, 2003