Re: @Override

Discussion in 'Java' started by Jim Janney, Jul 27, 2012.

  1. Jim Janney

    Jim Janney Guest

    To: Eric Sosman
    From: Jim Janney <>

    Eric Sosman <> writes:

    > On 7/23/2012 2:30 PM, bob smith wrote:
    >> Is it really necessary to write @Override when you override or is this just

    "a good thing"?

    > Two benefits of @Override appear to me, one from its presence
    > and one from its absence:
    >
    > - If you write @Override and then misspell the method name or
    > mess up the parameter list, Java will say "Hey, wait: There's
    > nothing in the superclass with this signature; what do you
    > think you're doing?" And then you'll say "Oops!" and fix
    > the problem, instead of wondering why your "overriding" method
    > doesn't seem to work.
    >
    > - If you write a method and your IDE starts suggesting that you
    > ought to tag it with @Override, you'll be alerted that you've
    > overridden something you didn't intend to.[*]
    >
    > Two benefits; that's all I see. Hence, like indentation and
    > Javadoc comments, not "really necessary" ...
    >
    > [*] This actually happened to me earlier today. I was writing
    > a little Swing doodad to edit the "locations" of inventory items,
    > and I gave it a getLocation() method. NetBeans started clamoring
    > for @Override, and I realized that my doodad extended JPanel which
    > in turn extended JComponent, which already has a getLocation() ...
    > Time for "Facepalm!" and a quick name change.

    When you've overridden a class method in some third-party package and then
    upgrade to a later version of that package, it sometimes turns out that the
    method has been removed, or renamed, or given some additional parameters. It's
    much nicer to get a compile-time error than to eventually discover that your
    overriding method is no longer being called. This has happened to me more than
    once with Hibernate.

    --
    Jim Janney

    --- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
    * Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
    --- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98
    Jim Janney, Jul 27, 2012