Re: @Override

Discussion in 'Java' started by Jim Janney, Jul 28, 2012.

  1. Jim Janney

    Jim Janney Guest

    To: Eric Sosman
    From: "Jim Janney" <jim.janney@1:261/38.remove-nwi-this>

    To: Eric Sosman
    From: "Jim Janney" <jim.janney@1:261/38.remove-10ae-this>

    To: Eric Sosman
    From: Jim Janney <>

    Eric Sosman <> writes:

    > On 7/23/2012 2:30 PM, bob smith wrote:
    >> Is it really necessary to write @Override when you override or is this just

    "a good thing"?

    > Two benefits of @Override appear to me, one from its presence
    > and one from its absence:
    >
    > - If you write @Override and then misspell the method name or
    > mess up the parameter list, Java will say "Hey, wait: There's
    > nothing in the superclass with this signature; what do you
    > think you're doing?" And then you'll say "Oops!" and fix
    > the problem, instead of wondering why your "overriding" method
    > doesn't seem to work.
    >
    > - If you write a method and your IDE starts suggesting that you
    > ought to tag it with @Override, you'll be alerted that you've
    > overridden something you didn't intend to.[*]
    >
    > Two benefits; that's all I see. Hence, like indentation and
    > Javadoc comments, not "really necessary" ...
    >
    > [*] This actually happened to me earlier today. I was writing
    > a little Swing doodad to edit the "locations" of inventory items,
    > and I gave it a getLocation() method. NetBeans started clamoring
    > for @Override, and I realized that my doodad extended JPanel which
    > in turn extended JComponent, which already has a getLocation() ...
    > Time for "Facepalm!" and a quick name change.

    When you've overridden a class method in some third-party package and then
    upgrade to a later version of that package, it sometimes turns out that the
    method has been removed, or renamed, or given some additional parameters. It's
    much nicer to get a compile-time error than to eventually discover that your
    overriding method is no longer being called. This has happened to me more than
    once with Hibernate.

    --
    Jim Janney

    -+- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
    + Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
    -+- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

    Jim Janney, Jul 28, 2012

  2. Jim Janney

    Lars Enderin Guest

    To: Jim Janney
    From: Lars Enderin <>

    2012-07-27 21:42, Jim Janney skrev:
    > To: Eric Sosman
    > From: "Jim Janney" <jim.janney@1:261/38.remove-10ae-this>
    >
    > To: Eric Sosman
    > From: Jim Janney <>
    >
    > Eric Sosman <> writes:
    >
    >> On 7/23/2012 2:30 PM, bob smith wrote:

    [snip]

    > --
    > Jim Janney
    >
    > -+- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
    > + Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
    > -+- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98
    > Time Warp of the Future BBS - telnet://time.synchro.net:24
    >
    > --- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
    > * Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
    > --- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98
    > Time Warp of the Future BBS - telnet://time.synchro.net:24

    How come this "BBS" is included in some loop, regurgitating loads of posts and
    disregarding standards? Who invited it? For example, Arne Vajhoejs name in his
    From headers is sent in 8-bit code.

    --
    Lars Enderin

    Lars Enderin, Jul 28, 2012