Re: packaging windows services?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Thomas Heller, Aug 4, 2003.

  1. max <> writes:

    > Hi all,
    > trying to package a windows service into a standalone (no full python
    > install needed)
    > py2exe works well, except that it only appears to support 'manual
    > start' service option and only under default accont. What py2exe
    > appears to do is to ignore the
    > win32serviceutil.HandleCommandLine(MyService) in the main and just use
    > the class (hence the classname requirement on the command line) with
    > its own options. The advantage of this approach is that it does not
    > require PythonService.exe.
    > McMillan does not appear to support services directly. But I do wonder
    > if I can combine the exe produced by McMillan with PythonService.exe
    > to get something working.
    > The other approach is to dig into the py2exe source and swap the
    > manual start for automatic.
    > suggestions?

    I have a patch sitting on the SF py2exe page which does this and more,
    I hope I can work on this during this week.

    OTOH, you can change the startup options of the service (and the user
    account it uses) with the control panel services applet.

    Thomas

    Thomas Heller, Aug 4, 2003

  2. Thomas Heller

    max Guest

    > I have a patch sitting on the SF py2exe page which does this and more,
    > I hope I can work on this during this week.
    >
    > OTOH, you can change the startup options of the service (and the user
    > account it uses) with the control panel services applet.
    >
    > Thomas

    Hi Tom,
    I was looking in the CVS on sf for this one, could you tell me where
    it's sitting?
    And yes, I know about the applet, just my users don't :)
    max.

    max, Aug 4, 2003

  3. Thomas Heller

    max Guest

    > I know that the (commercial) WISE installer can also install a service
    > with the options you need. I do not know if inno or nsis can also do
    > this.
    >
    > Thomas

    Thomas - Thanks!
    <stupid question>
    due to my sad unfamiliarity with CVS, how can I merge this file with the
    run_cvs.c I downloaded?
    </stupid question>

    max, Aug 4, 2003
  4. max <> writes:

    >> I know that the (commercial) WISE installer can also install a service
    >> with the options you need. I do not know if inno or nsis can also do
    >> this.
    >> Thomas

    > Thomas - Thanks!
    > <stupid question>
    > due to my sad unfamiliarity with CVS, how can I merge this file with
    > the run_cvs.c I downloaded?
    > </stupid question>

    No need to use cvs, just download the patch and use a patch.exe utility
    for windows ;-) Search the internet to find one, and find out how to use
    it.

    Thomas

    Thomas Heller, Aug 4, 2003