RE: Page not found on Postback

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jun 9, 2004.

  1. Hi Nathan,

    From your description, you're using an ASP.NET web page to display Data
    Report and the Report is displayed as a DataGrid which is dynamically
    populated denpeding on the selected item of a dropdownlist on the page.
    Also, the datagrid has editing column which let the uesr to edit the items
    in it. However, current you found when the user hit the edit button in the
    datagrid, he'll get a 404 page not found error, yes?

    As for the problem, here are some of my suggestions:
    1. Does any postback will cause the same problem? For example, just add
    another TextBox or Button and set their post back event. Or even create a
    new page and put on a button to see whether the post back will cause 404
    too?

    2. Also, I think you can also check the IIS log to see whether it can
    provide some further clues on the detailed cause of the problem when we hit
    the edit button in datagrid.

    3. Also, are their any particular configuration in your web application?
    Such as use cookieless session?

    Please have a check and if you have any new findings, please feel free to
    post here.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey
    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jun 9, 2004

  2. Hi Nathan,

    Have you had a chance to check out the suggestions in my last reply or have
    you got any further progress on this issue? If there're anything else we
    can help, please feel free to post here. Thanks.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jun 11, 2004

  3. Yes I tried your suggestions, I did get it to work however.

    Although no matter what, Adding any button reproduced the problem. It actually didn't return a 404, It just said page cannot be displayed and at the bottom it said it was a Host lookup or DNS error.

    There wasn't anything in the log, and nothing special in the web.config,

    I set the project not to load data the first time to the page and wait until the user selected an option. In doing this, however find a reference to a lablel I had on the form and removed, it was an output label populated in the BindData function. When I stepped through it yesterday I found that line and removed it. It was inside a Try Catch block so it wasn't erroring, but what is interesting is that it was returning the DNS error and not an error assigning to the label, and when the program called the BindData on the first load, it would return data.

    Thank you for your help with this.
    Nathan

    =?Utf-8?B?TmF0aGFuIFRydWhhbg==?=, Jun 11, 2004